Hi, from an 'oldtwit'

oldtwit

Having been repairing clocks for some years, I was told by my wife that watches take up a lot less room, so I have graduated? downsized? to watches.

Have been doing it for a couple of years, my main interest is vintage mechanical but now trying kinetic.  Watches, parts etc sourced mainly from eBay and learning all the time from YouTube videos.

My main problems are hairsprings, and cat hairs from our two resident mogg (oops, will be in trouble now ) non-moggy cats.

• Like 2

Having been repairing clocks for some years, I was told by my wife that watches take up a lot less room, so I have graduated? downsized? to watches.
Have been doing it for a couple of years, my main interest is vintage mechanical but now trying kinetic.  Watches, parts etc sourced mainly from eBay and learning all the time from YouTube videos.
My main problems are hairsprings, and cat hairs from our two resident mogg (oops, will be in trouble now ) non-moggy cats.

Welcome to a great group of like minded old men (probably).

We have 2 cats and a dog. Luckily I use a roll top desk for my watches. I dust the Tambour door before I open it and make sure all my parts are in dust cover trays until I’m ready to install them. Also, I have to wash my hands before I start. It is very much like surgery. I may be a bit over compensating, but it works pretty well.

Dust trays are relatively cheap. You could use a sheet of tissue paper or similar to cover your work area while you are away.

I’ve had watches stop on me only to to open them up days later to pull a very fine hair out of the works.

Keep trying. You will find something that works for you and it doesn’t have to cost a mint.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk