Having been repairing clocks for some years, I was told by my wife that watches take up a lot less room, so I have graduated? downsized? to watches.

Have been doing it for a couple of years, my main interest is vintage mechanical but now trying kinetic.  Watches, parts etc sourced mainly from eBay and learning all the time from YouTube videos.

My main problems are hairsprings, and cat hairs from our two resident mogg (oops, will be in trouble now ) non-moggy cats.

• Like 2

Hi and welcome To The forum from another Old Twit,  Fortunate to have a bothy at the house end The misses dont go in there except for the freezer.  So a sanctuary with a buzzer iff needed  Ahhh Luxury

• Like 1

Cats..I am allergic , I like  them, but I like breathing more . Dogs are more to my liking ,I see in them all the virtues we call human but are too ashamed to admit we learned from them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Having been repairing clocks for some years, I was told by my wife that watches take up a lot less room, so I have graduated? downsized? to watches.
Have been doing it for a couple of years, my main interest is vintage mechanical but now trying kinetic.  Watches, parts etc sourced mainly from eBay and learning all the time from YouTube videos.
My main problems are hairsprings, and cat hairs from our two resident mogg (oops, will be in trouble now ) non-moggy cats.

Welcome to a great group of like minded old men (probably).

We have 2 cats and a dog. Luckily I use a roll top desk for my watches. I dust the Tambour door before I open it and make sure all my parts are in dust cover trays until I’m ready to install them. Also, I have to wash my hands before I start. It is very much like surgery. I may be a bit over compensating, but it works pretty well.

Dust trays are relatively cheap. You could use a sheet of tissue paper or similar to cover your work area while you are away.

I’ve had watches stop on me only to to open them up days later to pull a very fine hair out of the works.

Keep trying. You will find something that works for you and it doesn’t have to cost a mint.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for your thoughts,I have invested in a second hand air cleaner from ebay ,and now have clean air blowing over my work bench hoping that this will work. if not it should keep me cool in summer.

Regards, OldTwit

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

• Topics

• Hi.  I wonder if I may ask your advice vice on something which is probably a very simple answer but has left me scratching my head in disbelief! I have attached a file for information which shows the Smith’s Westminster chime clock after I have cleaned & serviced etc.  The clock was brought to me in an awful condition. It belongs to an old lady who had it off her mother. She said it hadn’t worked for years and she hadn’t even got the key, but it would be nice to hear it ticking again now she had retrieved it from her shed.    The clock was understandably awful. It was as black as can be and full of years of grime dust and gunk. I very much enjoyed cleaning and serving it and was pleased to say that all of the parts are intact. Even the key was there - it was jammed between the front of the case and the movement!   However, I have had it running on my bench now for about 3 weeks (allowing time for setting down etc), but the clock runs and chimes excellently but will not slow down. The Bob is extended so it is hanging on by barely a thread and yet it still gains about five mins a day???   I would be grateful of any advice you may have?   Kind regards   Nick
    • Greetings all.  I've been working on a few things but one is a bit curious so I thought I'd report.  I snagged this non-running, but otherwise lovely little Elbon watch off ebay: I really like the style of the dial; was very excited when it arrived.  When I inspected inside, I noticed that the balance wasn't oscillating freely, and was very loose -- had a lot of end shake.  I quickly diagnosed the problem as a broken pivot on the balance staff.  Here's a comparison of the two pivots: One is not looking great!  So I found a NOS balance complete online (for the exact movement) and ordered it.  This one should be straightforward, open and shut, I thought. Well the part finally arrived from the Netherlands, after the usual Covid shipping delay, and I noticed some strange things.  First, it had a lot of little spots of blue-green corrosion, especially on the hairspring collet (brass -- perhaps the source), but I managed to clean that off.  Also the hairspring itself was sticking to itself in one place, and I had to spend a bit of time cleaning it with a brush and benzene.  Soaking it wasn't helping.  Then I put it side by side with the old balance and noticed that the position of the end of the spring (the stud) was 180 degrees different between the two.  See this picture (note the impulse jewel are both pointing south, though you can't see them): I did not even try to install the new balance.  This cannot be right.  I think I may try to just swap the hairsprings, though this will be a first for me.  I could try using razors as recommended by @Nucejoe.  The old hairspring looks a bit better shaped too, as it angles out to make contact with the regulator arm.  What do you guys think about all this?  Shouldn't a new part have a correctly positioned hairspring, etc?
    • Hello and welcome to the forum Elliot        enjoy
    • Hi John  Its no contest  I resign.
    • Many thanks for that. Just checked and found it, but would have probably lost it if you hadn't mentioned it. Phew!