Hairspring vibrating tool

Delroyb

Would anyone in or around the Sussex area happen to have a hairspring vibrating fixture, for an 18,000 bph hairspring. I need to fit a new hairspring to an old trench watch but do not have a means beyond trial and error to pin it at the right lenght.

Any assistance most welcome.

thanks,

Lawrence

You could try the oldschool way of vibrating it ontop of a pocket watch.

18000 bph is 150 vibrations a minute, or 25 in 10 seconds.

STart the hairspring vibrating just before the second hand on the watch reaches zero and count the vibrations until it reaches 10 second.

If your count is less than 25 its too slow, so shorten the spring, above 25 its too fast so make it longer.

If you don't think you can count that quick video record it on your phone, use slow motion if necescary and then count them in the play back.

Read the second paragraph on this link

https://books.google.com.au/books?id=gML7DAAAQBAJ&pg=PT49&lpg=PT49&dq=vibrating+hairspring+on+glass+pocket+watch'&source=bl&ots=X-TZ1ZJWQs&sig=ACfU3U20BIbXyE7zfl2nI7YPx06-xXOPTQ&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiPs9XO6ornAhWqIbcAHY2_AGsQ6AEwEXoECAoQAQ#v=onepage&q=vibrating hairspring on glass pocket watch'&f=false

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That technique definitely works but it's still handy to have the tool to hold the spring while you're clicking the stopwatch and counting! Did a 20944 bph itty bitty Lecoultre a few months ago like that.

If you can rig up something that can grip some #5 tweezers it'd be worth the effort.

Those hairspring vibrators are extremely hard to come by, i have been trying to get one for the last 2 years, i saw one once listed for $400 on eBay and it was sold in minutes I didn’t even have time to click buy it now. Video slow motion is really the easiest way to do this.

• 2 weeks later...