Mainspring winders

@AshF Do you think you could do me another favor? Could you measure the inner and outer diameter of the handle for these Chinese winders? The thing is that CousinsUK.com sell the winders for this Chinese set separately as seen here. However, they do not sell the Chinese handle separately, but as I have the Bergeon handle I'm thinking that perhaps I would be able to order the Chinese winder I need and use it with my Bergeon handle. I'd really appreciate it!

10 minutes ago, VWatchie said:

The thing is that CousinsUK.com sell the winders for this Chinese set separately as seen here.

With a complete set going GBP 175 + VAT + shipping compared to GBP 100 inc. shipping, it doesn't seem to me good idea to buy from Cousins. And buying individually you would get like 3 winders for the price of 10 plus the organizer plate. Of course, if you intend to work on single ETA movement for the rest of your repairer career, you would save approx 65 GBP.

10 minutes ago, VWatchie said:

as I have the Bergeon handle I'm thinking that perhaps I would be able to order the Chinese winder I need and use it with my Bergeon handle.

What would you gain from using the Bergeon handle when each winder comes already with one?

2 hours ago, jdm said:

With a complete set going GBP 175 + VAT + shipping compared to GBP 100 inc. shipping, it doesn't seem to me good idea to buy from Cousins.

I agree, not from an economic point of view it isn't. The only reason I would order from Cousins in this case is due to much shorter delivery time, approx. five working days. The same set can be had from China for about £115 (eBay link here) including tax, shipping, import and handling fees to Sweden. However, it would likely take 20 working days or more to get it here and I am impatient. Anyway, for the first time ever I just used "Cousins Price Promise" and I guess/hope they'll get back to me tomorrow. And no, I intend and hope to be working on many other calibers :lol:

3 hours ago, jdm said:

What would you gain from using the Bergeon handle when each winder comes already with one?

I think you are confusing the set that Cousins are selling (which is also the subject of this thread) with another Chinese set that we talked about the other day where I mentioned I wasn't too keen on all those "extra" handles!? As far as I can see Cousins Chinese set has a single handle for all winders.

So, my plan is to get the complete set, this or the other one with the many handles, from China (unless Cousins lower their price) and just order a single Chinese winder from Cousins if it fits my Bergeon handle. In my current project I need to wind a GR and/or original Seiko spring for a Seiko cal. 7S36B and I believe the Chinese winder for the Omega cal. 8200 could work as its barrel diameter is 9.9 mm and its arbor diameter 2.65 mm. The inner diameter of the Seiko barrel is 10.5 mm and I think the cal. 8200 arbor would fit reasonably well. If not, the Omega cal. 8500-2 could be an option. You would know this much better than me!? Of course, I would have to push it into a spacer first but that shouldn't be any problem I hope and guess. So yes, that single winder would be very expensive compared to getting the entire set but I need it to calm my impatience :rolleyes:

6 hours ago, VWatchie said:

Anyway, for the first time ever I just used "Cousins Price Promise" and I guess/hope they'll get back to me tomorrow.

I'm pretty sure they will decline your request on the basis that their business can;t be compared to Ebay or AliX.

As far as I can see Cousins Chinese set has a single handle for all winders.

Do see again because both the set and the individual winders are pictured each having an handle.

m56903_pic1_cmyk1_m95.jpg

Edited by jdm

8 hours ago, ThrobinsonCrusoe said:

Looks like one handle to me JDM

Ok, I call handle the part that  you turn with your hand
And the one by which you hold the tool, holder.
Maybe there are even more ways to call these.

5 hours ago, VWatchie said:

Well, I'm happy to report that you were wrong!

Is the discount mentioned going to fully match Ebay price? Either way, I'm happy too :)

5 hours ago, jdm said:

Ok, I call handle the part that  you turn with your hand
And the one by which you hold the tool, holder.
Maybe there are even more ways to call these.

The common terminology for the parts of this type of main spring winder is as follows:

Terminology.jpg.baefd9acc58fdf3ed890c3e51381747e.jpg

Funny you should have a problem with this as you didn't when we discussed this a few days ago. You're just being silly!

5 hours ago, jdm said:

Is the discount mentioned going to fully match Ebay price? Either way, I'm happy too :)

No, far from it, but good enough to make me pull the trigger. Now I just have to wait for a week instead of a month (or more).

• Like 1

9 hours ago, VWatchie said:

Funny you should have a problem with this as you didn't when we discussed this a few days ago. You're just being silly!

Sorry I didn't spent all the time as you did on the Bergeon literature while pondering on this issue. Or I simply misunderstood. Sure I deserve being called names by such a smart person, thank you for teaching me :lol:

Edited by jdm
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, AshF said:

The inner handle diameter is 11.76

Thanks @AshF! I haven't got access to my tools at the moment but I should have in a couple of days. I'll measure my Bergeon handle then and will report back. Anyway, I've just ordered the Chinese set from Cousins so I should be able to test if the Bergeon handle is compatible with these Chinese winders within a week or so. Not, that I'll be needing it then but future members might find it useful. Again, thanks, much appreciated! :thumbsu:

(EDIT: BTW, if there are any members who find the terminology confusing you can simply refer to this post!)

Edited by VWatchie

11 hours ago, jdm said:

Sorry I didn't spent all the time as you did on the Bergeon literature while pondering on this issue.

No need to apologize!

11 hours ago, jdm said:

Or I simply misunderstood.

No big deal! It can happen to anyone!

11 hours ago, jdm said:

Sure I deserve being called names by such a smart person

I can't see any irony in that sentence ;) so I feel flattered that you perceive me as a smart person. Thank you! However, let me assure you, like most people I'm just moderately gifted and the proof is in the pudding. If I was smart I wouldn't need precise terminology as I would be able to deduce what you and others mean when not using common terminology.

12 hours ago, jdm said:

thank you for teaching me :lol:

Oh, don't mention it! My pleasure! :lol:

27 minutes ago, AshF said:

How much did you get them down to? 

Forgive me for being silly but I don't want to disclose any numbers as I feel this deal was between Cousins and me. Anyway, just barely enough to make me pull the trigger. I just hate having to wait, so a relatively quick delivery is worth a lot to me.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I'm going through the course and have disassembled a Seagull ST36 (6497), have cleaned the movement (except for the Going Mainspring/Barrel).

I need to get the correct mainspring winders for the following:

Seagul ST36 (6497 clone).

Seagull ST2100 (ETA 2836 clone).  

Seiko NH35A.

Are there acceptable budget options?

Thanks.

Bonus question: I'd like to use a dial without the extended seconds pinion on the seconds wheel. What is the best way to remove this?

9 hours ago, caseten said:

Bonus question: I'd like to use a dial without the extended seconds pinion on the seconds wheel. What is the best way to remove this?

So you don't want to have any seconds hand? 
If not you have to grind of the extra part of the pinion sticking out from the jewel, be sure not to take away too much since you still need it to rest in the jewel.

From what I have learned on this site There is always an answer,  Ali express (china)  apparently does some passable spring winders so that may be your first port of call, Cousins uk, Jules Borel, timesavers, esslinger in the USA are also material houses from where tools can be purchased.

To answer the original question - the ring is to put the handle into to protect it so you don't press the plunger accidentally while fooling with the spring. You can sit the handle into it so you can work on the with the handle upright and the plunger protected.

• Like 4