Sign in to follow this  
yankeedog

Westclox/Seiko

Hey All,   a few of you have noted that  you were unaware  of the connection. But yes westclox  did assemble  Seiko  movements  into their  cases. Much like Seiko sells bare movements  to third party  assemblers today. For your pleasure  I have included  a picture  of the movement  in the westclox  recently  posted  in the watch of the day.

20200115_151801.jpg

I  am not exactly  sure. I believe  there are some  differences. For example  the train  and barrel  bridges  are separate  pieces..I think that  on the 66 they  are one piece. I don't  have an actual  seiko to compare  it with. But from what I have seen  that is what it is.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

• Topics

• I don't think you can really pump in oil in there since the air trapped in prevents that. And any oil left on the flat facing the balance is count productive. So the fine applicator is used to push some oil in the hole.  That is my understanding at least.
    • Rub-in jewels have integrated end stone, out of obsession I am always concerned if I have managed to get enough oil on its end stone, automatic oiler seem assuring to have dispensed that certain amount of oil there,  one can double the amount by pumping twice and the exactness of the amount is a nice control to have. In a sense, same story with screw on end stones, you can just screw the end stone on and then oil. Much neater outcome since end stone plate/ holder is sure to move when you try to place it on and oil gets spread around by the old method.  I use old accupuncture needles as oiler.    
    • I wouldn't follow the Seiko guide too closely. There's the obviously questionable suggestion that you oil the pallet pivots, and there's the use of "S-6" in parts of the train. That's a grease, and I know of no other manufacturer that call for the use of grease in any part of the train in any caliber this size. I would improvise and use HP1300 there like any other automatic device. I would however use some grease on pawl and ratchet teeth on the second reduction wheel. I can see that wearing down over time without a heavier lubricant.
    • I understand your teacher's position, i think it's not a strictly necessary tool. What the automatic can't replace is the applicator which is a fine round pin for jewels where is difficult or not practical to separate the cap jewel, e.g. the two small diashock on Seiko, or rubbed in.
    • Thank you Nucejoe, so pleased that it's safe to operate on. Thought it best to ask before attempting, it's a old Avro military watch so best be careful with it.