Identification.

fjseal

Is it normal for a clock movement to have no visible form of identification, if so, could it be hidden out of sight somewhere. How can one make a start on finding, for example, a new mainspring or the age of the movement . This is the clock I asked  about earlier regarding mainspring condition. Watchweasol thought it could be of European, possibly German origin.

Definitely one to call in the clock big gun contributors to ...

...however whilst eating my lunchtime sandwich I thought I'd spend a few minutes looking around and came across this which certainly looks like your case and indicates a thermometer would have once been present: https://www.antiquesnavigator.com/d-1201283/antique-victorian-deskmantel-clock-barometer-thermometer-good-working-order.html. Of course, like yours, no clue on a maker but then I thought I'd take the barometer face design as an angle because that lettering and spacing is pretty distinctive and came across: https://www.tooveys.com/lots/266080/a-late-victorian-aneroid-barometer-with-carved-oak-circular-surround/ . Your pic is a bit fuzzy but the similarity is obviously there with this one ... and interestingly it has "Guaranteed English Make" on it. Now of course whoever put your mantel barometer-clock together originally might have mixed English barometer with European/German clock but if in the unlikely event our forum's big guns are stumped then a search along the lines of victorian english mantel clock movement might be worth a go.

• Thanks 1

That is German and it’s an 8 day duration. The balance staffs on these clocks normally wear and the tips become like a blunt pencil, so they need to be pointed, so you need a lathe to do this and re-point using a stone, I used a small arcanses stone to do this with oil. Also check the cups as these can also wear, if so they need to be smoothed out by means of a countersink.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1