markr

Stem from crown.

Question

4 answers to this question

Unscrew it ? Some have had adhesive/cement put on before being screwed in which can make things more complicated.

I'd say it's worth dipping the whole thing into some cleaning substance first (one that is safe and won't ruin the crown if it's plated) and then try and unscrew it. Maybe use a small pin vise for the stem...

I mount the stem on a stem vice and unscrew, The problem you may face is when  the crown dose not want to come out peacefully, normally if glue is previously used, rust ....so on, the solutions are: 

Soaking in aceton , use of rust killer, penetrating oil, heat ......so on, is to be used accordingly. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

• Topics

• If the broach starts to bind in the hole a little oil will help. For your first attempt you have done well. I’m not too sure of the bush you have chosen the hole has very little depth to the pivot and plate. This is why I always made my own. Here are two sorts of bushes that I recommend. Bergeon and KWM I wouldn’t use them. Bergeon clock brooches cutting and smoothing are one of the best, I don’t think they cover the sizes you would need for Longcase (grandfather) clocks I might be wrong. There is another type of bushing when you have experience, that is called invisible, that is when you can’t see that the clock has been bushed.     https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/mantel-clock-general https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/english-clock-bushes
    • Thank you @JohnD. This seems like a sensible 50th birthday present if not an extravagant one considering his demographic and the era. That's not to say he didn't rise above that demographic. It would be cool if our watches came with detailed provenance, sadly we're left with guesses and dreams.
    • HN Blair appears HERE....he would have been 50 in 1973......
    • Finally... Bush fitted - hole broached to the needed size, and the video below was the test fit to see if it all worked and looked OK. The wheels spins smoothly though all angles (it was not lubricated at this point) and the bearing endplay looks fine too. Not shown in the sequence but done anyway, was my attempt at polishing the pivot from the worn side. It was marked and oldhippy said it really should be done. I did not have any correct tools for this, but did have some hard pith wood and very fine rouge, so had a go with that, using a small hand-drill to spin the wheel. Before and after through the loupe did show a marked improvement, so was worth doing. (Naturally, I polished the pivot before broaching the pivot hole...) All I need to do now is to rebuild the works and sort out the escapement depthing and, hopefully, this old clock will keep time again. I would welcome comments, views on the process etc. as this was a learning task for me. I also have to say thanks to all who commented and gave tips earlier, as you certainly gave me the confidence to "have a go". Re-Bushed.mp4
    • This is an fusee English lever pocket watch. The customer said that it was only running for a few minutes and then stopping. On first inspection the amplitude was almost non existent but strangely was running. I presumed a good service would resolve this issue BUT alas the same issue. I stripped again and inspected every part with a microscope and found a bent guard pin + the banking pins had been bent. Apart from this I could not find anything. The balance pivots show some scoring but just a tiny touch it swings fine. Believe it or not, the amplitude now (see vid) is twice as much as what it was. My suspicion is the pallet is not the original and the horns are just a touch short so the impulse pin is not swinging the hairspring on impulse. Just wondering if anyone has come across this error,I'm a bit lost at present.     IMG_5211 (1).m4v