UG Tri-Compax Chronograph (centre) seconds hand can’t turn past 58.5 seconds and the whole watch stops ticking

IOB

I have a UG Tri-Compax from the 1950s or 60s (Calibre 281): The chronograph (centre) seconds hand can’t turn past 58.5 seconds and the whole watch stops ticking/working (nothing moving/turning in the movement). However, when the reset pusher (4 o’clock) is kept pressed, it enables the seconds hand and watch to move/tick again. The reset pusher is released when the chrono seconds hand reaches 60: the watch resumes ticking and the hands move until the chrono seconds hand reaches 58.5s again. The process is repeated.

It has been noticed that if the watch is held face down then the reset pusher “procedure” doesn’t always work (i.e. the watch does not resume ticking/moving). It’s usually necessary to turn the watch over and try to press the pusher a few times in order to make the seconds hands move again.

The 30-minute sub-dial at 3 o’clock has stopped working, too.

If the chrono is not activated, then the watch seems to run properly.

What do you think is the problem?

Thanks for your insight!

Many thanks for your prompt response, nickelsilver. Very much appreciated!

Does much of the movement need to be dismantled for the repair? Would it be an expensive repair? Any idea how much it would cost (best guesstimate?

Many thanks for your insight!

Does much of the movement need to be dismantled for the repair? Would it be an expensive repair? Any idea how much it would cost (best guesstimate?

It's probably a quick fix for someone versed on chronographs but I doubt anyone will touch it without doing a full service. A competent full service will be between 3-600 dollars (give or give a hundred or two depending on locale).
  • Thanks 1

On ‎1‎/‎15‎/‎2020 at 8:42 PM, nickelsilver said:
On ‎1‎/‎15‎/‎2020 at 7:31 PM, IOB said:

It's probably a quick fix for someone versed on chronographs but I doubt anyone will touch it without doing a full service. A competent full service will be between 3-600 dollars (give or give a hundred or two depending on locale).

Many thanks again, Nickelsilver!

Very, very much appreciated. Wish you all the very best!