Air purifier

jdm

When looking at how quickly dust accumulates, or at the particles in strong sun light, I began thinking that when working with watches clean air must be better. So got myself one of these, it's quiet and I like the look. Affordable at €30 from Amazon. Do you use one?

51fLu0I8s4L._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg

I've got one - a purifier, not a dehumidifier - but I have to admit I have hardly used it. I don't have a dedicated room, so it's hard to keep really clean. We and the dog are in and out all the time, bringing in new dust, clothing fibres and hairs. I would need to run it all day to keep the air clean all the time, and as I am usually only at the bench weekends that would be extravagant. I don't want the machine running near me when I'm working because of the draught, so a sensible option would be to run it for an hour before I start work. I will try to get into the routine of doing this, as my main problem is contamination.

Looks nice :)

I have to run a dehumidifier 24/7 here, due to a tropical climate otherwise slowly destroying everything. My workshop-room is sealed in every spot I can think of, but there is still dust ingress, and after a few months there is a layer of it all over the floor (and worse, my bench).

The dehumidifier has a filter that slowly gets dirty, but I think it only captures a fraction of the dust in the air. I've thought about getting some sort of purifier that uses static electricity to capture dust, and see if that makes a difference..

If you are in an uncarpeted room (most working on watches would want to be!) you will find that adding a small carpet away from the bench helps with dust surprisingly well. At one place I worked there was an about 2.5 meter long removable carpet in the hall outside the clean workshop; the boss decided it must go, "it's a dust magnet!!"... well, it was- immediately our benches were dustier. Put it back and it was 10x better. I experienced the same in a workshop I had for a while which had a tight weave industrial carpet; at first I hated it (and couldn't change it), then I realized after several months that nothing, anywhere had dust on it

• Like 3