Help

Ruairidh

I am only 18 and pretty new to the art of watch mechanics and i am currently in the process of repairing a nearly 100 year old JLC. However I am having a awful time trying to remove the movement from the case, tightening the screws makes the movement more loose and vice versa. I was wondering if anyone could lend some assistance on how to part it from the case. Thankyou

• Like 1

Uh...I don't  mean  to sound  condescending. But if this is your  first watch. Put it aside for now.I was 18 once, as long ago as it was!get some practice  on a few watches of negligible  value. There is a touch to watch repair. I know  from experience  it took  me a while  to learn  it.I ruined  a few early  on through my own impatience  and heavy hand. You are in the right spot to learn..you have chanced upon a great  bunch..however  if you feel  confident  to proceed. Pictures  would  help.

• Like 1

I have found that in many cases when recommending to a total beginner to not attack valuable, sophisticated or difficult pieces only achieves the opposite result. I suppose is a male proudness psychology process.

I would love to see the young man here showing better judgement than the various others that certainly regretted their hubris, as they were never seen here again after they used the forum to declare war to an heirloom, rare, or expensive fine watch. 

Edited by jdm
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, Ruairidh said:

Although disappointed I am aware I am talking to far wiser individuals, therefore ill go back to modifying Vostoks for the time being. Thank you all 

As long as you haven't damaged/broken anything you're fine (for now).

The correct way was to: remove the case back > remove the crown and stem > try to screw in the 2/3 screws on the edge of the movement and then simply rotate the movement slightly until the screws fit into those specially made gaps. this way the movement will come out without forcing it. Hope this helps.

I think the watch is from the 40s...

15789106147114486989344468155163.jpg.0f4e303ac1347ad07ee9adf913567df3.thumb.jpg.2d91e1fbe2e22ed1066fe0155212e5ab.jpg

Edited by Chopin
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ruairidh said:

Although disappointed I am aware I am talking to far wiser individuals, therefore ill go back to modifying Vostoks for the time being. Thank you all 

Should not attempt putting bridges back on, since arbours would not neccessarily fall in corresponding hole. If you must, a prudent procedure can be advised.

• Thanks 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.