Finding watch movement spare parts

I would certainly assume that the following is “old news” to the seasoned among you, but if you’re new (or pretty new, like me) to watch repairing, I think and hope you’ll find the following information useful.

As most of you know, finding watch movement spare parts can be pretty trying. Oftentimes, they can’t be bought new as they are obsolete or restricted, and as a hobbyist it is even worse.

So, one strategy I intend to use in the future will to buy complete movements on flea markets sold as “for parts/repair”. Even so, finding the exact calibre can take a very long time. I had this problem with a Unitas calibre 6380. I needed a new pallet and an escape wheel. When searching eBay all I found were expensive complete watches. Searching the Internet, I came across a page here on WRT which eventually led me to the page “JBorel Products Watch Parts”, and this page felt like a gift from the watch gods.

Using this page, once you’ve located the watch movement part you’re looking for you can, with a simple click, get a list of all other calibres (and sometimes even other brands of calibres) using this exact part. That makes it so much easier to find a donor movement or the part itself if it is not listed, for example on eBay, for the calibre you’re working on. For example, let’s say we need a minute wheel for a Unitas calibre 6380 (just follow the red arrows which indicates a click):

image.thumb.png.5270697550e28a6f2ec98e0fa1094f27.png

image.png.dcc9c6d0049b64e2c3de3bfb3edba55a.png

image.thumb.png.70fc28577388339998b4259873361ef6.png

image.png.16d2c37cba2c306cb18a070e404a5f82.png

image.png.367625a692e93451406bbed9aaf66afe.png

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

Indeed it's helpful but not 100%. This field is so tangled, I wish they had internet 50-60 years ago. It would have made things more organized.

EDIT: Well I just found a part that I was looking for on their website. Is anyone from Europe ordering something these days ? I don't have an account and would be grateful if you could order something for me as well.

Edited by Chopin

If you're hobbyist living within the EU, J Borel is essentially and unfortunately not an option as the EU (not the US) punishes anyone and everyone who wants to extend their business beyond the EU. For example, now that the British are leaving the EU (good for them) it will affect Swedish companies negatively as the EU will punish these companies when they do business with Great Britain and prohibit bilateral agreements. In Swedish media, the Brits are portrayed as the villains hurting Swedish business. What a joke!

Oh, well, sorry for the rant! ;)

I can, first hand, report that it is very expensive to buy from J  Borel as long as you're unfortunate to live within the EU, so in most cases I personally do not consider it an option unless it is my only option and perhaps not even then. I live in Sweden (within the EU abomination) and I bought an oscillating weight bearing from them in December 2019. The part itself was $17.53 and shipping (USPS First-Class Mail) $16.55. Add to that, import charges, local VAT, and administrative fees and we're getting close to $50. Just insane if ask me, so that's not something I'll be doing soon again.

Anyway, what happens is that once you've placed your order and have registered your PayPal/charge card they will get back to you with an email with an offer for the shipping cost. If you want to go ahead you simply reply to the email stating that you accept the offer. At that point they charge your Paypal/charge card and send you the part(s). Pretty smooth actually, but of course very expensive. And no, you cannot decide the method of shipping yourself.

• Like 3

I wonder why we have to pay tax twice when buying from like Jules .  The right thing would be to exclude the tax and then pay it when it arrives in Sweden. Or am i wrong . Is the $17,53 without tax.  And you paid tax in Sweden and the 75 sek fee that Postnord takes for delivering the goods.  

How does it work for you outside EU when you buy from cousinsuk up until 31 jan 2020 ?  Now that they are leaving EU  We only paid the taxes in England before . And was only paying for the shipping . If we have to pay  the tax twice i would hesitate to buy from them in the future. 

10 hours ago, rogart63 said:

How does it work for you outside EU when you buy from cousinsuk up until 31 jan 2020?

There is no way you're going to pay twice. I suppose that from Jan 1 what Cousins and all the other UK sellers will do is to stop charging 20% VAT for orders going to the EU. Maybe the EU countries will start applying VAT from that day, or maybe a little later. Small orders can fall under the allowed, so you can end paying less.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, VWatchie said:

The part itself was $17.53 and shipping (USPS First-Class Mail) $16.55. Add to that, import charges, local VAT, and administrative fees and we're getting close to $50. Just insane if ask me, so that's not something I'll be doing soon again.

Actually USPS is cheaper than shipping to the US from EU. For a small order there should be import charges, a.k.a duty fees, but even if there were these are normal low and single digits. VAT is the same (with some small variation) as you and the rest of the EU citizens pay to get the free health care and other social services (imagine getting sick and/or old in the US without private pensions or insurance). The about 7 Euro you paid for handling is very similar to what I pay in my country, all in all reasonable, try importing something with a private courier to see the really extortionate fee. I'm the first to be upset with these bills, but in the end as with any hobby is not like it can be free, actually I still consider it very affordable if one behaves rationally.

Edited by jdm

7 hours ago, jdm said:

There is no way you're going to pay twice. I suppose that from Jan 1 what Cousins and all the other UK sellers will do is to stop charging 20% VAT for orders going to the EU. Maybe the EU countries will start applying VAT from that day, or maybe a little later. Small orders can fall under the allowed, so you can end paying less.

I am almost sure Sweden will take 25% Vat on all orders . Even the small ones . There is no such thing as allowed in Sweden. Don't think it will be less . There will be much more trouble buying from cousinuk and other UK sellers. But as always there is seldom any good alternative. If there where i would chose that instead. Only time will tell how it will be in the future. 

Edited by rogart63
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, rogart63 said:

I am almost sure Sweden will take 25% Vat on all orders . Even the small ones . There is no such thing as allowed in Sweden. 

There is, 1,700 SEK for gifts.https://www.tullverket.se/en/private/receivingorsendingagift/giftsenttoyoufromacountryoutsidetheeu.4.7df61c5915510cfe9e75c05.html

What happens, at last in my country, is that customs don't bother applying VAT for small values below 45 EUR, even if clearly it's not a gift, that is, sent from a company. Do you pay for AliX  or other cheap items from China?

1 hour ago, jdm said:

There is, 1,700 SEK for gifts.https://www.tullverket.se/en/private/receivingorsendingagift/giftsenttoyoufromacountryoutsidetheeu.4.7df61c5915510cfe9e75c05.html

What happens, at last in my country, is that customs don't bother applying VAT for small values below 45 EUR, even if clearly it's not a gift, that is, sent from a company. Do you pay for AliX  or other cheap items from China?

That is only when you buy from a private person . If it's a company you have to pay from first SEK . 

That would be great if it was like that. Pay only from €45 . Seldom i order from AliX  and other china companies. . But i think AliX and Wish  have a special agreement. You pay a little more when you buy. And you won't have to pay VAT when it arrives to Sweden.  China parts from Ebay we have to pay VAT for . And all other outside the EU. 

• Like 1

"1. PRICES.
All prices are subject to change without notice and are subject
to Seller’s prices in effect at the time of shipment. All prices are
net and exclude any taxes
(including, but not limited to, city,
county, state, and federal taxes where applicable), transportation,
insurance and handling, which are to be borne by Buyer. Buyer
shall indemnify, defend and hold Seller and its affiliates, officers,
directors, owners and employees harmless from any loss, claim or
damage suffered by Seller as a result of Buyer’s failure to pay such
sums."

The same goes for CousinsUK so tax (20 %) is only paid once.

Edited by VWatchie
additional info added

• 11 months later...
  • 3 months later...