should cuckoo clock mainsprings be the same size

quantieme

Hi All, i have a large antique cuckoo clock that on the winding train was running for 2 days but on the chiming / cuckoo train would only run for a day just about, as it needed a service i have taken it apart to find that although the barrels are the same size the cuckoo spring is a lot smaller . the winding train spring is height 22mm , thickness 0.45, length 176 cm, barrel dia 44. The cuckoo train is H 19mm , T 0.50mm, L 160cm. i am assuming they should both be the same size and that someone has done that as a quick fix rather than fit the same size spring, so i just need to know can i refit with a spring of the same as the winding train.

thanks tony

Hi Tony  What make of clock is it as most of the cuckoo clocks I have worked on were chain driven even the ones with musical boxes, These were the true blackforest types. Not had my hands on any spring driven types yet.  The general rule of thumb is the larger spring drives the chime as it carries the greater load.  Are they barrel enclosed springs or open coil loop end springs.  We will require pictures of the movement and the makers name so as to identify the parts.  The Blackforest clocks were in different sizes and were either 8 day or ! day  REGULA were the common makers along with HUBERT HERR.

On 1/11/2020 at 5:39 PM, watchweasol said:

Hi Tony  The only reference I have come across with spring driven cuckoo clocks are ones with Junghans movements in Makers logo  a star with a J in the middle.and some times the word Junghan surrounding it.

Hi Watchweasol, ithink the label says teutonia clock company. The spring and barrel on the left are the chiming train ones.

IMG_1903.JPG

IMG_1931.JPG

IMG_1936.JPG

IMG_1937.JPG

IMG_1938.JPG

IMG_1939.JPG

IMG_1940.JPG

My advice is to measure both barrels and buy two new springs. The two old spring’s one looks tired and the other is way too short.   

Teutonia Clock Company is German.

What you have is a very nice German genuine cuckoo clock and from what I can see a very nice wooden case. 

Hi Tony   Its a nice clock,  and from what I can see the springs look un molested Ie shortened as the ends are as made, as stated the greater spring fits the chime train as it requires more force. A good clean and polish will make all the difference. Give the barrels a good polish and clean/lube springs.It will make a fine clock.

The Clock is from the late 1800s  by Philip Haas although there is no trademark which is a rabbit. Some of his clocks had the crutch support in the shape of a rabbit , some of his clocks used the  PHS logo  Philip Haas and Sone

The company closed in 1920 although  Teutonia.Hoeter & cie  were founded in 1872 by August Hoeter. 

When a spring is out of its barrel and un-wound it should be uncoiled in an even way. The spring on the left clearly shows distortion and some coils are nearly touching, see arrows. This can also cause irregular time keeping. With two new springs both sides will run down evenly as it would have done in its original condition.   

IMG_1940.thumb.JPG.a71f2160d92d9d3c7f198f615051084a.jpg

2 hours ago, oldhippy said:

My advice is to measure both barrels and buy two new springs. The two old spring’s one looks tired and the other is way too short.   

Teutonia Clock Company is German.

What you have is a very nice German genuine cuckoo clock and from what I can see a very nice wooden case. 

yes it is the short one that was in the chiming /cuckoo train, i have now ordered 2 new springs from cousins based on the size of the going train spring. thank you for the advice.

2 hours ago, oldhippy said:

When a spring is out of its barrel and un-wound it should be uncoiled in an even way. The spring on the left clearly shows distortion and some coils are nearly touching, see arrows. This can also cause irregular time keeping. With two new springs both sides will run down evenly as it would have done in its original condition.   

IMG_1940.thumb.JPG.a71f2160d92d9d3c7f198f615051084a.jpg

that makes sense to me as that is the chiming spring and it would chime and cuckoo ok for about half a day and then it would stick with the cuckoo staying out.

2 hours ago, watchweasol said:

Hi Tony   Its a nice clock,  and from what I can see the springs look un molested Ie shortened as the ends are as made, as stated the greater spring fits the chime train as it requires more force. A good clean and polish will make all the difference. Give the barrels a good polish and clean/lube springs.It will make a fine clock.

The Clock is from the late 1800s  by Philip Haas although there is no trademark which is a rabbit. Some of his clocks had the crutch support in the shape of a rabbit , some of his clocks used the  PHS logo  Philip Haas and Sone

The company closed in 1920 although  Teutonia.Hoeter & cie  were founded in 1872 by August Hoeter. 

thanks for the info about the history of the maker, i am going to fit two new springs anyway.