New but enthusiastic

Shane

Good day all, Shane here.

I inherited my grandfather's old Timex a long time ago.  It wasn't running and I wasn't able to find anyone interested in fixing it for me- at any price.  Even if it was running, I wouldn't want to wear it every day for fear of destroying one of my most valued possessions and not having it to pass down to my grandson (now almost three).  The watch spent most of my daughter's life in a drawer, only coming out to be worn during significant family occasions (in an attempt to connect our present with our past).  I have always wanted a nice old watch and my "most wonderful" wife and daughter gave me the most beautiful Waltham key wind, key set pocket watch for Christmas in 2018 and I was hooked.

I'm new to the whole forum thing and not familiar with proper protocol or S.O.P.  Please take no offense if I ask/say something that has already been covered.  I have no internet access at my home and I can only get online when it's slow here at work.  Considering the speed things can grow online if the whole world has input, I wouldn't be able to interact if I was required to digest the whole thing before participating.  I believe in the free and friendly exchange of information and have always gone out of my way for someone who has asked for my help and have been very appreciative of its
reciprocation.

Thank you for the opportunity,

Shane

P.S.

My grandfather's Timex is now ticking strong once again!  This is a great hobby!

IMG_20200101_194057.jpg

• Thanks 1

Hello Shane,

welcome to the forum! There are many souls here who enjoy saving old watches from a lonely death in the back of a drawer, either for the love of the mechanics, or for sentimental reasons just like yours.

No need to worry about protocol, people here are very patient and happy to help. You've already passed the first test by introducing yourself first.

Now please describe how you got that lovely Timex up and running again!

Thanks for the friendly replies.

I purchased (see photo) a significant number of "junk watch movements" (not my phrasing), tools (new and used) and supplies from online sources,  yard sales and rummage stores.  I then spent the last year watching videos of people with obviously different skill levels working on watches, as well as, working on that motley pile of my own, with surprising success.  I do have a fair background working with small parts and assemblies and tight tolerances.  After some time I felt confident enough to open my grandfather's Timex.  It's a great feeling to see those little machine spring back to life after being so entangled with them.  I went through a model 20 (no case, dial or hands) this morning, giving it a full wind and setting it down for the day before leaving for work at about 6:00 am.

s-l1600 (1) small.jpg

2 hours ago, Shane said:

Good day all, Shane here.

I inherited my grandfather's old Timex a long time ago.  It wasn't running and I wasn't able to find anyone interested in fixing it for me- at any price.  Even if it was running, I wouldn't want to wear it every day for fear of destroying one of my most valued possessions and not having it to pass down to my grandson (now almost three).  The watch spent most of my daughter's life in a drawer, only coming out to be worn during significant family occasions (in an attempt to connect our present with our past).  I have always wanted a nice old watch and my "most wonderful" wife and daughter gave me the most beautiful Waltham key wind, key set pocket watch for Christmas in 2018 and I was hooked.

I'm new to the whole forum thing and not familiar with proper protocol or S.O.P.  Please take no offense if I ask/say something that has already been covered.  I have no internet access at my home and I can only get online when it's slow here at work.  Considering the speed things can grow online if the whole world has input, I wouldn't be able to interact if I was required to digest the whole thing before participating.  I believe in the free and friendly exchange of information and have always gone out of my way for someone who has asked for my help and have been very appreciative of its
reciprocation.

Thank you for the opportunity,

Shane

P.S.

My grandfather's Timex is now ticking strong once again!  This is a great hobby!

IMG_20200101_194057.jpg

that is a pre 1963 Mercury.  I'd say maybe 61 or 62.  Was there an ink stamp on the underside of the case back?