Jump to content
  • 0
Noviceticker

First Project Ideas & Help Needed

Question

Background: I know absolutely nothing about how to fix watches. I purchased this Hanowa Swiss Military movement ISA 2330 for $32 on ebay in 2016. I forgot I had it until my other daily watch broke (also Hanowa). After taking it to a watch repair shop to get the battery replaced, we discovered that the second-hand kept sticking. The watch store clerk thought it was the battery, but even after replacing a new one the second hand continued to stick. He recommended doing a "total overhaul". Because I didn't pay very much, I figured it would be a good first project to fix on my own. At first I thought about taking it apart to fix it but trashed that idea when discovering the movement itself is only $16! I guess I expected the movement to be more pricey since a new watch replacement is close to $200. Apologies in advance for those who will shriek at my questions. 

So here is what I would like to accomplish:

- A solution that is easy, long-lasting and easy to maintain. Basically, what would I have to do to keep this watch running for the next 30 years. 

- Preferably budgeted under $75

Thoughts and questions:

1) Are there "better" movements that I should consider using that will fit this watch?

2) Since I want long-term function, would it be better to make this an automatic movement?

3) How long would a replacement ISA 2330 movement last and is it my best option to keep the watch original?

 

watch1.jpg

watch2.jpg

isa-caliber-2330-holder.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

12 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0

https://www.esslinger.com/isa-watch-movement-isa2330-103-quartz-movements/

New movement $15.95....quartz is not the easiest to work on esp if you don’t know what you are doing tools used on quartz movements are also very specific. So i suggest just a quick and easy movement swap. It’s the most basic thing you can learn if you are new to the hobby. Learn to remove stem, dial, and hands. Then re-assemble. You will need watchmaker non-magnetic screwdrivers/tweezers, hand puller, and hand setter.

Edited by saswatch88

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Hi SASwatch is correct, as at the moment your knowledge is zero, now is the lime to learn the basics that being removing case backs, removing stems, removing hands and basicaly swapping the movement which if done correctly will last quite a long time and you would have gained the first foot on the ladder which is watch repair and servicing.

First pick up some reasonably priced screwdrivers case knife eyeglass (loupe) 5X and a medium priced pair of No5 tweezers this should enable you to change the movement. If you intend to continue with the hobby you can always add more and trade up in quality.

The tech data sheet contains very little information of use to you at the moment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
8 hours ago, watchweasol said:

Hi SASwatch is correct, as at the moment your knowledge is zero, now is the lime to learn the basics that being removing case backs, removing stems, removing hands and basicaly swapping the movement which if done correctly will last quite a long time and you would have gained the first foot on the ladder which is watch repair and servicing.

First pick up some reasonably priced screwdrivers case knife eyeglass (loupe) 5X and a medium priced pair of No5 tweezers this should enable you to change the movement. If you intend to continue with the hobby you can always add more and trade up in quality.

The tech data sheet contains very little information of use to you at the moment.

ahhh weasol I almost forgot case back opener duhhh, and def eye loop. Only thing i would say different is tweezer number 3 or even number 2 something with wider and tapered shanks. #5 is way too thin and mostly reserved for very fine detailed work. Someone experienced prob could use it for mostly anything but to a beginner it could mean many screws and parts flying across the room. OP just make sure they are non magnetic, because anything that becomes magnetized could potentially do harm to a quartz movement even more so than a mechanical.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Thank you both for you advice and information! I purchased the following items from esslinger today and they should be arriving next week. I am looking forward to working on this small project and having the watch back to working order. I already had the tool to take the back off and a pair of cheap tweezers that came with the amazon set purchased earlier. The one thing I didn't include was cleaning supplies because I didn't know if they were necessary for just replacing the movement. I chose to get the finger cots as a second option. 

Watch Hand Remover Tool Compression Spring Style Watch Hand Puller    
Delta Screwdriver Set 6 Piece Phillips and Flat Head Watch Screwdriver Kit    
Watch Hand Tool Press for Inserting Installing Wristwatch Hands    
100 Pieces Rubber Finger Cots Elastic Guards Medium Size    
ISA Watch Movement ISA2330/103 Quartz Movement    
Watch Battery Energizer 371 And 370 Replacement Cell

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
4 hours ago, Noviceticker said:

Thank you both for you advice and information! I purchased the following items from esslinger today and they should be arriving next week. I am looking forward to working on this small project and having the watch back to working order. I already had the tool to take the back off and a pair of cheap tweezers that came with the amazon set purchased earlier. The one thing I didn't include was cleaning supplies because I didn't know if they were necessary for just replacing the movement. I chose to get the finger cots as a second option. 

Watch Hand Remover Tool Compression Spring Style Watch Hand Puller    
Delta Screwdriver Set 6 Piece Phillips and Flat Head Watch Screwdriver Kit    
Watch Hand Tool Press for Inserting Installing Wristwatch Hands    
100 Pieces Rubber Finger Cots Elastic Guards Medium Size    
ISA Watch Movement ISA2330/103 Quartz Movement    
Watch Battery Energizer 371 And 370 Replacement Cell

Looks good to me does the tweezer set come with a brass pair or are they anti magnetic?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Hi  Good,  looks comprehensive enough to start with. As saswatch says No 5 probably too fine, go with his suggestion.  If you are going to be changing batteries A plastic pair or ones with plastic tips but other than that you have done ok. One other thing  if you are working on mechanical watches consider a de-magnetiser as a potential future purchase.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Hi  Nows the time to start pick what looks like the simplest one and go for it. Remember you are not alone there are many members on here to help and are willing to help. When posting questions about a problem if you can always where possible quote the make and calibre of the watch and a pictures of the front and back, they go along way to help.  By The way  take pictures as you go for reference in case it all goes pear shaped. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Just a word of caution before you get stuck in ... the finish on dials tends to be very fragile so don't use your new hand remover without some protection in place. You can get pro dial protectors but as a beginner some suitable soft plastic would be fine. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
On 1/13/2020 at 7:24 AM, WatchMaker said:

Just a word of caution before you get stuck in ... the finish on dials tends to be very fragile so don't use your new hand remover without some protection in place. You can get pro dial protectors but as a beginner some suitable soft plastic would be fine. 

Watchmaker - I wish I would have read your comment earlier lol. I did in fact ruin the second hand with the tools. After ordering a new set of hands, the watch has been working perfectly! I love it and wear it daily.  

IMG-7419.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...