Benrus 46374 military issue movt removal

I have a watch that appears to run but will need an overhaul due to age.

It is a Military issue watch that the original owner has.  Case is plastic and is indicated on the case back "(NON MAINTAINABLE)".

I would like to line up the split stem, like so |i| and the movement could simply "fall out" of the case but I'm not having much luck.  As this is probably the first time the movement has been removed from the case, there is little wear for it to loosely fall out.  I fear too much tweezer pressure wedge between crown and plastic case and this the owners original issue to himself.

Any past experienced users of this extraction?

D4521F65-C61C-4C71-A30C-FCEDE1DA6227_1_105_c.jpeg

8A2BFD40-A247-4D5B-906D-F6D25C5DF45A_1_105_c.jpeg

Just like the 3818B, type I, type II, and Hamilton GG-W-113  there is no way to remove movement without separating the split stem. So its a judgment call on your end. Is it worth the risk of damage? You haven’t worked with it before and you did say it ran so maybe leaving it as is would be your best choice. I have one in my collection its runs for about 7 hours and that’s good enough for me. These were made to be worn and thrown away but doesn’t mean they cant be serviced the movement is the same as type I only difference would be that its a 7 jewel movement.

Edited by saswatch88
  • Like 1

If it is like a normal  split stem it should  come out with  a little  judicious  " jiggery pokery". Try  this..while gently  lifting  the  movement  at the  9    ( pokery) rotate the crown ( jiggery).. observe the movement. It will rise and fall.when the edge farest from the crown is at its highest  point the spilt will be perpendicular  to the case. The movement  can then be removed  without  damage. 

Thanks for the comment saswatch88

I got the movement out.  Being a metal movement installed in a snug fit plastic case only once at the factory, this was not going to just be tapped out of its case.  I used some fine dental floss and worked it in starting at the stem side with the ends of the string at the 9 o'clock position.  This let me leverage up on that side.  I could then just rotate the split stem where the male part was horizontal to the case.  I then could gently coerce the movement by rotating it just enough to slide the female part of the stem from the male part.  Did not have to pull outward on stem for separation.

7 jeweler but it was very dry.  It is remarkable working on this realizing it has been in the Vietnam War.

397D6533-BC8A-44F2-9ED7-A1CCE5A0DF1E_1_105_c.jpeg

702AD0DC-1E69-460A-A6DE-7DE2863D73ED_1_105_c.jpeg

3F491BEA-D164-4831-A4A1-2C70B89E266B_1_201_a.jpeg

Edited by GeorgeC

• 1 year later...