Omega part identification

buzz12

Hi all,

Hoping someone can help with my weird dilemma.

I have found among my watch parts, what appears to be a factory sealed Omega part labelled 563-1530. If I am not mistaken, that part should be a date corrector but it does not look like I would expect. Is it a date corrector? If not, does anyone know what part it is?

DSCF4595.JPG

Without searching, it seems exactly that to me. The teeth drives the date ring and one hole must be for the pivot on the plate. Numbers like 1530 here are coded to indicate what part is that. Someone will possibly post the technical sheet here.

Thanks for the input guys. Looking at the data sheet, am I correct in thinking Omega has re-modeled part 1530 at some point? The data sheet shows the part looking like a coil, yet my part looks more like a plate. Maybe one is earlier than the other? Since they are not identical parts would you not have expected them to have a different code number? Picture below is what's shown in the data sheet as 1530. 

1530.jpg

29 minutes ago, buzz12 said:

Thanks for the input guys. Looking at the data sheet, am I correct in thinking Omega has re-modeled part 1530 at some point? The data sheet shows the part looking like a coil, yet my part looks more like a plate.

Good point. If you observe the geometry of the holes and tooth you will see they are the same. So why the "coil"? It's protection against breakage when trying to correct date (backward) at the same time it's advancing around mid night. The flexible finger bends and nothing breaks, but isn't so with the other type. Other mov'ts use a springed finger, or it's made of plastic in the date driving wheel (Seiko below). Notwithstanding all that you can still read in the user manual of most watches a warning against correcting time around midnight, better safe than sorry must be the reasoning.

Since they are not identical parts would you not have expected them to have a different code number?

Good point also. The code number can't change, 563-1530 is always, and generically, date corrector for the 563. There is no coded number for "improved date corrector". So how to do when parts change depending on the mov't variations, just use more numbers like there are in the package above, these are  like "manufacturing numbers", and are detailed in some technical document.

Edited by jdm

Thanks JDM… very interesting and helpful. So I am guessing mine is most likely the earlier version 563-1530 that over time has been improved to a coil shape. But since both have the same code (1530) is it safe to assume that if I needed to order a 563-1530 date corrector (without picture or barcode info) it would not matter which version I received? By that I mean, would it fit? Or, is the difference likely to be significant to certain variants of the calibre? – ie one will fit earlier models but not the later models and vica versa?

9 hours ago, buzz12 said:

Or, is the difference likely to be significant to certain variants of the calibre? – ie one will fit earlier models but not the later models and vica versa?

In this case it seems to me it would fit. In general, to know beforehand one should have the full collection of all the technical documents issued. The other, common way is to reason and try. And since a good while it became possible to ask on the Internet :)