Klassiker

New Mainspring Winder on the Market

I've been watching out for a decent set of mainspring winders for a while now, and just spotted these on Ebay.

https://www.ebay.de/itm/Metall-Vintage-Watch-Federwinde-Set-fur-ETA-Uhrwerk-C07-8500-1-8500-2-3135/184046407944

There are a number of sellers, mostly in Hong Kong but a couple are in the UK. This set is new to me and looks well made. The price seems reasonable, when compared to a used set costing upwards of 50 Euro. Has anyone bought a set? I don't recognise most of the calibre numbers, but the barrels look to be in a range of diameters. Are there any other variables? What is puzzling me for example is why there are two different winders for 2824 and 2892 when the spring dimensions are so similar?

To start with it is described as vintage (vintage today doesn't mean what it used to be) I have seen clocks made about 10 years ago called vintage. This is a set for E T A movements, it doesn't mean that you should only use them for there movements,but on there movements they will work better and be a better fit. 

For what its worth I couldn't get along with watch mainspring winders, so always wound them in by hand. 

winding main springs for a clock or vintage watch  BY HAND  is an interesting subject.   if you know how to do it;  learn that before buying a high priced,  used spring winder.      vin

I have looked at this winder set before and it looks good value. Personally I have struggled fitting a watch mainspring by hand so use a winder. As oldhippy states they will work with other caliber watches as well. 

@oldhippy do you recognise all those ETA movement i.d.s? What sizes are they, please?

2000?

2671 = 6.5 dia.

2235?

8200?

8500-1?

8500-2?

3135/2824=11.0

C07111?

7750=12.5

2892/2836=10.5 or 11.0

@vinn3I know how to do it, but especially with the small ones I'm concerned about deforming them. I can't do it with finger cots, they keep getting trapped in  the coils, so I end up contaminating the springs with scrapings from my fingernails. Best avoided.

Putting a new spring in is for me the most reliable and economical solution, given it's a hobby and I might service around 10 watches in a year. So I would continue to do that if saving money was the object. But if I wanted to splash out?

25 minutes ago, Klassiker said:

@oldhippy do you recognise all those ETA movement i.d.s? What sizes are they, please?

2000?

2671 = 6.5 dia.

2235?

8200?

8500-1?

8500-2?

3135/2824=11.0

C07111?

7750=12.5

2892/2836=10.5 or 11.0

@vinn3I know how to do it, but especially with the small ones I'm concerned about deforming them. I can't do it with finger cots, they keep getting trapped in  the coils, so I end up contaminating the springs with scrapings from my fingernails. Best avoided.

Putting a new spring in is for me the most reliable and economical solution, given it's a hobby and I might service around 10 watches in a year. So I would continue to do that if saving money was the object. But if I wanted to splash out?

Think 2235 is a Rolex movement . Don't no why they aren't doing a set of winders. Instead of doing this. Looks okay though. 

right you are O.H..   if you KINK a spring,   thats bad.   i havent done that yet.  i do one or less a month.   never rubber cots on a thumb job.   cheers  vin

9 hours ago, Gasman said:

I bought this set and used for two eta calibres and they worked fine.

Quality is good though I had to degrease them as they came swimming in oil!

Hi Gasman, thanks for the reply. Just what I was hoping for.

Can you add to or correct any information in the list below? Ideally, would you be kind enough to list the actual spring diameters / heights which fit in each winder?

2000?

2671 = 6.5 dia.

2235 = Rolex according to Rogart63, but Ranfft doesn't list details. 

8200 = Miyota according to Redwood, but Ranfft doesn't give a mainspring dia. It's apparently a sealed barrel.

8500-1?

8500-2?

3135/2824=11.0

C07111?

7750=12.5

2892/2836=10.5 or 11.0

Do you see any reason why they would only work with the listed calibres?

What is the difference between the 3135/2824 winder and the 2892/2836 one?

Are these exclusively right-hand winders?

I am very interested in the diameters as well. 
The mainspring winder I have is an antique set which belongs in a museum in stead of being used. And does not function very well. 

I also found this set on Ebay. And I even saw it on Aliexpress for around €78 incl shipping.

https://a.aliexpress.com/lkEw5Nax1

But nowhere I can find which exact measurements the barrels have. 

To start with it is described as vintage (vintage today doesn't mean what it used to be) I have seen clocks made about 10 years ago called vintage. This is a set for E T A movements, it doesn't mean that you should only use them for there movements,but on there movements they will work better and be a better fit. 
For what its worth I couldn't get along with watch mainspring winders, so always wound them in by hand. 

Me too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro