Did I order the wrong balance wheel?

Lc130

Without trying it myself, I would guess that it is normal. You are not imparting much momentum to the train by activating the escape wheel. Have you tried giving the barrel or the 2nd. wheel a nudge with an oiler or toothpick? That should get the whole train spinning, and you will see better if there is too much friction.

Did you get the coils of your hairspring to sit concentric in the end?

Agree with Klassiker, the normal test is with fork out, barrel and train in, give a few clicks on the barrel and see how the train does. When it comes to a stop you want the escape wheel to reverse direction, at least a little bit. This is an indication the train is free, and the reversing is due to the backlash between the teeth in the gear train. It's usually done with the movement clean and unoiled- the oil can impart enough resistance to stifle the backlash. Of course you want oil when running under power!. 

It takes around 10 turns of the escape wheel to turn the 4th wheel once- hundreds to turn the center wheel once.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Klassiker said:

Without trying it myself, I would guess that it is normal. You are not imparting much momentum to the train by activating the escape wheel. Have you tried giving the barrel or the 2nd. wheel a nudge with an oiler or toothpick? That should get the whole train spinning, and you will see better if there is too much friction.

Did you get the coils of your hairspring to sit concentric in the end?

Not yet.  Someone suggested I try it as is first since the risk of damaging the HS is high for this beginner.

I got the motion and key less together.  However, in the hand setting position, the cannon pinion is not slipping.  Turning the crown causes the train of wheels to move.  Is the pinion too tight?  I didn't alter it.  Or, have I done something else wrong?

Thank you

Charlie

On 1/15/2020 at 2:38 AM, nickelsilver said:

Agree with Klassiker, the normal test is with fork out, barrel and train in, give a few clicks on the barrel and see how the train does. When it comes to a stop you want the escape wheel to reverse direction, at least a little bit. This is an indication the train is free, and the reversing is due to the backlash between the teeth in the gear train. It's usually done with the movement clean and unoiled- the oil can impart enough resistance to stifle the backlash. Of course you want oil when running under power!. 

It takes around 10 turns of the escape wheel to turn the 4th wheel once- hundreds to turn the center wheel once.

The train spins after a few clicks but stops abruptly.  The escape doesn’t reverse.  Does this mean something is dragging?

15 hours ago, Lc130 said:

The train spins after a few clicks but stops abruptly.  The escape doesn’t reverse.  Does this mean something is dragging?

It's a sign that something is dragging in the train. Whether it's simply dirt or a bad endshake or something else you have to investigate.