Mainspring condition.

fjseal

Hello all and a Happy New Year. Is there a way of assessing the condition of a clock/watch mainspring by the way it feels when you wind it. I have a clock movement that winds fully but when you move the balance wheel it oscillates a few times but will not continue to run. It is almost as if it wants to go but there is not enough energy to drive it. Winding the spring feels normal, so I am inclined to think the problem is not with the spring. Also, there is an alarming rattle as if something is loose inside the barrel which is only there when the spring is wound; there is nothing with it fully released. Any ideas would be welcome, thank you.

Rattling in the barrel? I mean i wish i could hear it for myself but i would associate that with either a broken or slipping mainspring, worn down arbor pivot? None the less i think it needs attention, but that’s not to say their may be another underlying issue somewhere in the train. 

Hi Untill you investigate the rattle in the barrel and sort that problem there is no point in doing anything else. I would agree with saswatch  you have either a broken spring worn arbour or worn bushes. If it only apparent when the spring is wound it is when there is space in the barrel as the spring should be tight on the arbour so sounds like a bit of spring or spring anchor  has broken loose.  Best to dismantle the clock and proceed from there, By the way what make of clock is it, is is a simgle barrel striker two train or three train strike/chime, Is the balance a conventional type or Hermle floating balance.

Hi If its the simpler one or two barrel clock just take it down carefully, remove all power from the movement before splitting the plates. Photograph each stage for reference. The balance will just unpin and put aside safely.  Can you post a picture of the clock front and back, it makes it easier when we can see what it is.  Cheers

• Thanks 1

Is this a clock or watch? As you have a balance wheel and say clock I'm thinking carriage clock? Sometimes clock springs do a sort of "shudder", it's not a big deal. If your balance won't run at full wind 99.9% sure it's not a spring issue but worn pivots/ bearing holes etc. Most any clock will run with the feablist of power if the gear train is in good order.

• Thanks 1

I will try to attach pictures, I hope you can see them, thanks. This is a clock given to me by a friend to try and fix, so I don't know what's been done to it in the past.IMG_2668.thumb.JPG.9433d1f2b1c7a4cf5a2bbeba786cd5b5.JPGIMG_2671.thumb.JPG.7d8a985e683689a76c850a9b75a0d5f4.JPGIMG_2670.thumb.JPG.c46280bd56f69eec8187eaa1a70697b5.JPG

IMG_2669.JPG

IMG_2670.JPG

Edited by fjseal

Hi   Of european origin I think possibly german  A good clock to start with. First job let down the mainspring (no tension) next un pin and remove the balance, then before splitting the plated check all the pivots in their holes for wear any excess wear will need bushing but these pin lever clocks are fairly tolerant. If all ok then remove spring plate and spring then remove the back plate photo graphing as you go so as to have a reference should things go pear shaped, enjoy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, fjseal said:

I will try to attach pictures, I hope you can see them, thanks. This is a clock given to me by a friend to try and fix, so I don't know what's been done to it in the past.IMG_2668.thumb.JPG.9433d1f2b1c7a4cf5a2bbeba786cd5b5.JPGIMG_2671.thumb.JPG.7d8a985e683689a76c850a9b75a0d5f4.JPGIMG_2670.thumb.JPG.c46280bd56f69eec8187eaa1a70697b5.JPG

IMG_2669.JPG

IMG_2670.JPG

very good pics' !

• Thanks 1