Tissot sea star t12

Hi all.

i have just acquired this nice Tissot for a nice price.

i am currently stumped as to how this watch back comes off. I have tried unscrewing this but it stops half way and can’t physically go any further, I can’t seem to pop it off. I have broken a few screw drivers b y doing this and there doesn’t even seem to be a groove where it’s a typical pop off.

can somebody please help with this one? 

FACBF2CC-3C73-4F71-B850-E13D4E5DB609.jpeg

71CDAAF9-1E89-4455-AAEE-4D9681DEE11E.jpeg

F3842911-4CD2-4340-95CE-9B1AD05200F2.jpeg

Hi,
I have a few of these and the back does just screw off. Not sure why yours stops but I have had one or two that were quite stuck. They were stuck in the fully closed position and needed a lot of coaxing to start moving.
How much movement do you get before it stops?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Possible that some stripped threads while putting case back back on. It tends to be the first thread that gets screwed up since it could be hard to catch. I call it the lazy screw and press/death of a caseback method. They get first thread on wrong then press it down to get past it. by doing this it gets the back past the first initial thread and onto the next thread where the back will then screw on with ease. But from there the damage is already done to the first thread thus why you cant get it off all the way. 

I have just finished servicing the exact same watch and you need a 5700 style case back opener with the flat edged keys .Turn very slowly .The reason for it being so stiff is that the rubber o'ring is forced (compression)against the case back on closing and it has probably been there for years and sealed it shut

1 hour ago, Graziano said:

I have just finished servicing the exact same watch and you need a 5700 style case back opener with the flat edged keys .Turn very slowly .The reason for it being so stiff is that the rubber o'ring is forced (compression)against the case back on closing and it has probably been there for years and sealed it shut

The issue the OP is having is not breaking the seal of the caseback but getting it off completely. I think the issue is the first thread has a bent ridge which is locking the caseback up.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, saswatch88 said:

The issue the OP is having is not breaking the seal of the caseback but getting it off completely. I think the issue is the first thread has a bent ridge which is locking the caseback up.

I see ,yes you are right , I have come across this a few times and have found that if you have a heavy duty case holder screwed to a bench top it gives you 2 free hands to try different options such as using a screw driver around the edge twisting it whist turning with the case back gently gripped in multigrips with a piece of thin cloth for protection and work your way around .It will come off

• Like 1

Hi   I take it you have not resorted to the super glue and nut method. first get a large nut and superglue it to the back and let it cure (over night) then with the appropriate spanner unscrew the blighter. To remove the nut fill the inside with acetone(nail polish remover) and leave to relase the nut. I have used this method on one or two stuck backs and it works, just clean off  the caseback .

• Thanks 1