New Kid On The Block

steveorval

HI I'M STEVE, BEEN A MEMBER FOR ABOUT THREE DAYS AND I THINK AT LAST I'VE FOUND THE RIGHT SITE FOR ME A MIXTURE OF NEW BOYS AND VERY EXPERIENCED I NEARLY SAID OLD BOYS, AT THE THE RISK OF BORING EVERYONE I WILL RELATE HOROLOGICAL HISTORY TO DATE, I STARTED ABOUT THREE YEARS AGO FOR NO OTHER REASON THAN IT SEEMED A GOOD IDEA AT THE TIME, MOST OF MY LIFE HAS BEEN INVOLVED WITH MENDING TRUCKS AND BEING ABLE TO GET BOTH HANDS IN A GEAR BOX TO SORT IT OUT A BIG DIFFERENCE TO USING TWEEZERS AND NEEDLES TO GET INSIDE A WATCH GEAR BOX WITH WALLS PORK SAUSAGE SIZED FINGERS. MY FIRST PROJECT WAS A LADIES BULOVER 1943 PICTURES I WILL TRY AND ATTACH WHICH I BOUGHT ON THE BAY FOR ABOUT A FIVER AS NOT RUNNING AFTER OPENING THE BACK AND LOOKING AT IT AND READING EVERY BOOK I COULD FIND TO FIND OUT HOW A WATCH WORKED AFTER ABOUT A MONTH I BEGAN, INTO LITTLE CONTAINERS I PUT THE LITTLE PIECES USING 1 POT FOR EACH SECTION SO AS NOT TO MIX THE SCREWS UP, AFTER INSPECTING AL THE BITS AS BEST I COULD AL I COULD FIND WRONG WAS THE CLUTCH WHEEL AND WINDING PINION TEETH WORN SO I GOT A COUPLE OF MOVEMENTS CHEEP REASSEMBLED AND CAME TO THE LAST BIT BEING THE BALANCE WIGGLED IT IN AND WOULD YOU BELIEVE IT STARTED TICKING ALL ON ITS OWN I CANT EXPLAIN THE FEELING OF ACCOMPLISHMENT I FELT WHICH TO YOU GUYS YOU MAY HAVE FORGOTTEN BUT FOR ME IT WAS A MILESTONE BEARING IN MIND THIS WAS IN MY 64th YEAR NOT BAD I THOUGHT, ANY WAY THIS IS EPISODE ONE, I HAVE LOTS TO TELL AND LOTS OF Qs SO SPEAK SOONpost-618-0-32432000-1420832752_thumb.jpgpost-618-0-31012500-1420832761_thumb.jpg 

Welcome to the forum, that's a very pretty little Bulova.

I've just finished an overhaul on a ladies Bulova Longchamp (Durowe/INT 1980) for my sister in law. I shall try and put pics up over the weekend.

A warm welcome from one of the "old boys" here in Scotland.

That was a great introduction Steve, and most of us can relate to that great feeling of achievement when your first go at repairing a watch works. I'm looking forward to reading more post from you in the future.

post-618-0-74417500-1420901692_thumb.jpgpost-618-0-08566100-1420902010_thumb.jpgthanks for those words guys, thought i would give you a look at my work room, my wife says its a mess and has refused to clean it, any advice on how to deal with insolent women, she asks when the compulsive buying disorder wears off and is there any group therapy sessions planned on this site, there is a snap of my in tray, when i get bored i put my hand in the box and pull out a gem to work on.wondered where the button was for the small letters. thanks, steve :pulling-hair-out:

she asks when the compulsive buying disorder wears off and is there any group therapy sessions planned on this site

I've bad news for you, the CBD will only get worse, I'm sure "Watchitus Will" will confirm this. As far as group therapy is concerned if there ever was to be one it would be huge group.

Having been involved in a lot of hobbies over the years, horology takes the biscuit when it comes to buying!

Hi steve,

Although I order my stuff a little differently, my work place is almost as crowded! :)   .... and yeah, right now you are in group therapy...we all gather here together for that, being afflicted by the same bug! :)

post-253-0-33461400-1420914840.jpg

Welcome Steve.

You'll get no help here when it comes to buying tool ... many of us here are confirmed tool junkies, with no intentions of kicking the habit :p

But I tell ya, there's nothing like saving up and finally being able to buy the right tool for the job, when you've been making do, and struggling with what's on hand.

Hello Steve and welcome to the forum....I see you've met some of the members already. These guys can be very helpful, encourAGING, AND EVEN HILARIOUS at times. Great forum: You'll have alot of fun and indulge your pathological need to buy old watches, take them apart, and screw them back to together again-Perfect!

JC

• Like 1