movement id?

Hello-

I recently purchased this hamilton H605150 and upon receiving it, I noticed some stark differences between the movement, which suppose to be an Eta 2824-2, and others. The balance cock is unlike anything I have seen....I am wondering if this is a fake???? Any opinions? thanks.

I have attached photos of a genuine watch and one of the recent purchase...

genuine hamilton movement 1.jpg

ebay hamilton movement.jpg

Im no Hamilton expert but I have purchased several replicas over the years and one of the thi gs ive learned that is a subtle difference between the real and the reps are the small lettering. A lot of times the etching on the reps is a little less crisp and in some cases the font is off. The twenty-five Jewels etching on the movement appears to be like that of some ive seen to be reps. I could totally be wrong but if anything this stands out to me. I will also say this about the reps. They arent at all bad watches....esp the good ones...so depending on the amount you paid it may not be a complete rip off. If this is a rep then its a damn good one. Some of my higher end reps are holding good time and theyve been ticking for many years.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

It’s rep. Screws on caseback are off and hammy’s didn’t advertise eta since the original is an eta base with their own twist on the balance and it has higher power reserve of 80hrs. So they would not advertise a movement that has a 38hr power reserve on their caseback. If it is a rep then you could guess the movement is also a clone even though the cock does not match the same as a clone or even an original 2824-2. I highly doubt they would use a $279 movement in a replica watch.

A "rep"? As in not wanting to completely spell replica, the common euphemism for fake or counterfeit?

Unlike most others this forum does not have a strong policy against the above, and I agree with that, but personally I like to call things with their proper name. And I think that an honest "homage" which no pretense of fooling anyone is always a better purchase.

• Haha 1

I think JDM meant to say practice not purchase and think he failed to realize that I did use the full euphemism “replica” in the post. I am sure you are smart enough to understand by reading my first post that you understand that i was telling you your watch is a rep oh sorry.....replica

7 hours ago, saswatch88 said:

It’s rep. Screws on caseback are off and hammy’s didn’t advertise eta since the original is an eta base with their own twist on the balance and it has higher power reserve of 80hrs. So they would not advertise a movement that has a 38hr power reserve on their caseback. If it is a rep then you could guess the movement is also a clone even though the cock does not match the same as a clone or even an original 2824-2. I highly doubt they would use a $279 movement in a replica watch.

The early version had the 2824-2 and said so on the case back. Later models had the h-10. Apparently, during a transition period, some h-10 movement models when out with the older, 2824-2 engraved back and the older rotor. So I have been told...

14 minutes ago, cabowen said:

The early version had the 2824-2 and said so on the case back. Later models had the h-10. Apparently, during a transition period, some h-10 movement models when out with the older, 2824-2 engraved back and the older rotor. So I have been told...

I have never seen an example of one of these earlier versions you speak of but if true then it should say ETA 2824 somewhere on the movement. Also the screws Are not in the same position and the etchings look suspect 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Nucejoe said:

Is'nt  this a low grade ETA movement?   But a genuine. 

Hard to tell i just know the balance cock is different from an eta, Then again it could’ve been a repair somewhere down the line but if the watch is fake then I’m pretty sure the movement is a clone. Makes a lot more sense to put a $50 move-in rather than a $300 movement in a replica.

Rep is replica. I dont have an issue at all with reps as long as they are advertised as such. The places I get my reps from advertise them as reps and I have found that many are of high quality. Its when people try and pass them as genuine where we get into an issue. Quite frankly high end makers dont even really care about reps......Rolex for instance the rep industry has virtually zero affect on there bottom line as a person who is going to spend 18k vs 350 bucks.....its two separate markets and one doesnt impact the other. I seriously doubt a person ever said ohhhhh instead of spending the 18k why not just spend the 350. Im sure there are some negative impacts but imagine they are negligible. My wife has a couple gen rolexs and quite honestly I dont see the 10k plus variance in cost. The rep market is huge and when I got into it I was quite surprised at the extent of it. There are also the Franken watches where they are a mix of gen parts and rep parts. There are many hobbiest that are heavy into this as well. Like I said above the laser etching on the movement appears to be that of the clone varient. Rest assured though they will correct it. I have a Rolex submariner that is a rep that I can gurantee the vast majority of the folks on here would not be able to tell that its a rep. The rep makers are getting very very good at their craft and a good rep can easily set you back 1k all day. Im sure Ill get a lot of heat for this comment but at the end of the day its still a watch and as long as its known up front and theres no deciet in it then I just dont see the big deal. There are assholes out there that will buy a rep and try to pass it off knowingly as a gen. Not sure if thats what the case is here but you always half to be on the lookout. I have in fact seen this model on rep sites. For me a Hammy really isnt worth repping. A gen watch that retails for less than 5k probably isnt worth it.......but there are reps of virtually every make and model out there.

• Like 1

this watch was sold on ebay as the real thing. The seller runs a pawn shop or something and won't admit it's a fake despite me providing evidence that the hands are wrong, the regulator is wrong, the spacing of the screws/back engraving is wrong, the size is wrong, and the fact that Hamilton didn't make an anti-magnetic model with a display back. I will have to go through ebay and hope they are smarter and more honest than the seller so I can get my money refunded.

1 hour ago, cabowen said:

this watch was sold on ebay as the real thing. The seller runs a pawn shop or something and won't admit it's a fake despite me providing evidence that the hands are wrong, the regulator is wrong, the spacing of the screws/back engraving is wrong, the size is wrong, and the fact that Hamilton didn't make an anti-magnetic model with a display back. I will have to go through ebay and hope they are smarter and more honest than the seller so I can get my money refunded.

Def a fake there are many on eBay, ou will def get your money back just open a case against the seller

• Like 1

I haven't had any experience with ebay and fake watches before. Not sure the ebay people will be able to grasp all the minutia that makes this a fake...especially when the seller is going to scream it's real....Like I said, hope they are smart and honest.

44 minutes ago, cabowen said:

I haven't had any experience with ebay and fake watches before. Not sure the ebay people will be able to grasp all the minutia that makes this a fake...especially when the seller is going to scream it's real....Like I said, hope they are smart and honest.

It literally doesn’t matter if he doesn’t want to except a return you can escalate the case to eBay. I’m telling you I sell Watches on ebay and you be surprised what these people can get away with when they buy a watch. I had a guy buy a watch drop it and then told me it didn’t work and ebay still made me accept the return. Just select “item doesnt meet description or photos” or “its counterfeit or fake” for reason for the return

I was gonna say give the person who sold it to you the benifit of the doubt that they themselves thought it was real. Ebay will take care of you. If you need help providing the evidence let me know but you should be able to return it regardless........just say youre unsatisfied and you shouldnt have to say why. If theyre smart they will accept the return unless they are the scum I was referring to that are in fact giving the rep game a bad name by trying to pass off reps as gens.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies.

I had originally thought the seller didn't know either, but then he kept telling me he has been dealing watches for 20 years and knows what he is doing and that the watch was 200% real. I sent him all the info above, and he just insults and avoids addressing the issues. I finally concluded he is just a scammer- anyone trying to do the right thing would have looked at all these differences and just accepted the truth. I will have to escalate to ebay, but you have to wait a few days to do that....

Thanks for the replies.

I had originally thought the seller didn't know either, but then he kept telling me he has been dealing watches for 20 years and knows what he is doing and that the watch was 200% real. I sent him all the info above, and he just insults and avoids addressing the issues. I finally concluded he is just a scammer- anyone trying to do the right thing would have looked at all these differences and just accepted the truth. I will have to escalate to ebay, but you have to wait a few days to do that....

Whats their ebay store name??? I want to see what they are selling. If youre uncomfortable posting consider pm'ing me.

The guy keeps sending me photos of other fakes trying to prove his is good. I sent him a photo showing him clearly his is not 45mm, which with the H605150 of the back is irrefutable proof it is fake, he just won't admit it...

Here's his ebay name:

cash4allsorts
Mind if I ask what ypu paid for it??

Hes got 3 items listed from what I see. He doesnt appear to be knowingly selling fakes as gens. He probably got duped and doesnt want to admit it. Ebay should take care of you.

• Like 1

PayPal always trumps eBay decisions but it takes longer to get a refund - i think its 10 days, eBay is a bit quicker i would do eBay first you wont have any issues, but if so paypal will also work, i had a guy open an item not received case on eBay simply because he was all bent out of shape i sent a day late but he lost the case because it act arrived within expected delivery time frame. He then opened same case with paypal he lost again, THEN, get this, he opens another paypal case saying is ent him an empty package, He sent no proof and he won the paypal case, it makes no sense since if he had an empty box why wouldn’t that be his issue with the first 2 cases, so non the less he got a $500 watch for free, i tried to appeal it and i got the whole 48 hour response and never heard back from paypal i even called 3 times and i just gave up. I couldn’t open a dispute with my bank because i keep money in my paypal and it came straight from my balance. It’s literally legal robbery. And paypal allows it. So anyone who sells on eBay never keep money in there always transfer it to the bank. 

Edited by saswatch88

13 hours ago, bjd1020 said:

Rep is replica. I dont have an issue at all with reps as long as they are advertised as such. The places I get my reps from advertise them as reps and I have found that many are of high quality. Its when people try and pass them as genuine where we get into an issue. Quite frankly high end makers dont even really care about reps......Rolex for instance the rep industry has virtually zero affect on there bottom line as a person who is going to spend 18k vs 350 bucks.....its two separate markets and one doesnt impact the other. I seriously doubt a person ever said ohhhhh instead of spending the 18k why not just spend the 350. Im sure there are some negative impacts but imagine they are negligible. My wife has a couple gen rolexs and quite honestly I dont see the 10k plus variance in cost. The rep market is huge and when I got into it I was quite surprised at the extent of it. There are also the Franken watches where they are a mix of gen parts and rep parts. There are many hobbiest that are heavy into this as well. Like I said above the laser etching on the movement appears to be that of the clone varient. Rest assured though they will correct it. I have a Rolex submariner that is a rep that I can gurantee the vast majority of the folks on here would not be able to tell that its a rep. The rep makers are getting very very good at their craft and a good rep can easily set you back 1k all day. Im sure Ill get a lot of heat for this comment but at the end of the day its still a watch and as long as its known up front and theres no deciet in it then I just dont see the big deal. There are assholes out there that will buy a rep and try to pass it off knowingly as a gen. Not sure if thats what the case is here but you always half to be on the lookout. I have in fact seen this model on rep sites. For me a Hammy really isnt worth repping. A gen watch that retails for less than 5k probably isnt worth it.......but there are reps of virtually every make and model out there.

First they are not ''Reps'' they are counterfeit and they are illegal and I'm sure most clergy would say immoral. I don't even know where to go with the line that high end makers don't even really care about "Reps''. It's untrue and not a very good argument to justify criminal activity.  You may not have Issues at all with "reps'' now but if someone was putting your name on a fake item I'm sure you might feel a little different. If I am wrong or assumed something I apologize.