Vintage Rebberg services

teng

Hello all

First I would like to someone to help me identify this watch. What year this watch had been produced?

I got it as it wasn't running. I just open it up, wind it up in full but didn't run. I turn the balance it swing back and forth but watch isn't ticking. I swing a balance again with crown tight up and it's running. But when I released tension on the crown it's stopped. It likes broken mainspring but mainspring is ok.

I really appreciate any help in advance. Happy New Year to everyone and your loved one.

Here are a few pictures of the movement :

7f2dbe91a9479f1c7786b9b43e1f9728.jpgdc379998af678c1be9d45d0349cb2125.jpg4025101beb3773b75d620e66e377d96e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

Remove center seconds  arbor / pinion ( a culprit)  its spring is touching the pinion gear.

Dunk the movement in lighter fluid (30 seconds),  immediately get the the balance wheel turning by blowing with a puffer( tangent to the rim) , easy on hairspring coil, it will run much longer.

This test will show it needs a good clean ( dried lubricant  mainly on pallets generally freezes the escapement) . 

Good luck.

the movement you have is very rare, i believe i see a W&D on there as well which if there is then this makes this a very early WW1 period ROLEX. Rolex purchased Aegler Rebberg movements during the war and the the dial will not have Rolex on it since Great Britain did not allow the names on dials from foreign manufacturers. You would see Rolex or W&D marked on the movement and/or caseback. This is a very rare sweep seconds model which were used in “doctors/Nurses” watches during the war hence the Red Cross on the dial. I would say if its 13 ligne/29.5mm its most likely for a doctor anything smaller than 11 Ligne its a nurses watch. There must have been lume on the dial at one point also a feature in the watches since there was poor lighting at night in the hospitals. Hard to date but it will have to be between 1910-1926. You can read more below. Normally you see UNICORN, RWC, ROLEX, or HANS WILSDORF & CO on the movement, but I know W&D was used a lot on the case backs. Either way Rolex or not you have a nice rare piece of early wristwatch history and if you don’t know what you are doing take it to a professional you will not find replacement parts if you loose or ruin anything crucial.

https://www.vintagewatchstraps.com/myrolexpage.php

Also I don’t think mainspring is “OK” if you winded it fully and you need to add force to the crown which then transfers through the train making it run is a sure sign the mainspring is way too weak or is rubbing or getting stuck on the barrel lid, and a new one is needed. But a new MS is always needed with a service and esp one that is 100+ years old, god only knows the last time it was serviced. 

Edited by saswatch88
  • Like 1

the movement you have is very rare, i believe i see a W&D on there as well which if there is then this makes this a very early WW1 period ROLEX. Rolex purchased Aegler Rebberg movements during the war and the the dial will not have Rolex on it since Great Britain did not allow the names on dials from foreign manufacturers. You would see Rolex or W&D marked on the movement and/or caseback. This is a very rare sweep seconds model which were used in “doctors/Nurses” watches during the war hence the Red Cross on the dial. I would say if its 13 ligne/29.5mm its most likely for a doctor anything smaller than 11 Ligne its a nurses watch. There must have been lume on the dial at one point also a feature in the watches since there was poor lighting at night in the hospitals. Hard to date but it will have to be between 1910-1926. You can read more below. Normally you see UNICORN, RWC, ROLEX, or HANS WILSDORF & CO on the movement, but I know W&D was used a lot on the case backs. Either way Rolex or not you have a nice rare piece of early wristwatch history and if you don’t know what you are doing take it to a professional you will not find replacement parts if you loose or ruin anything crucial.
https://www.vintagewatchstraps.com/myrolexpage.php
Also I don’t think mainspring is “OK” if you winded it fully and you need to add force to the crown which then transfers through the train making it run is a sure sign the mainspring is way too weak or is rubbing or getting stuck on the barrel lid, and a new one is needed. But a new MS is always needed with a service and esp one that is 100+ years old, god only knows the last time it was serviced. 

Thank you SAS,

The watch is running now. Due to the plate which hold the center pinion wheel was to tight.

Watch movement marked Rebberg W co. I agreed hands are luminated but the lumination broke down. I'm looking for the similar lumination to redo it. But I have no idea the original color was.

Case marked Fahys Montauk wire lugs, I'm not sure if this is an original case or not.

I really appreciate yout information and the link you provide for more information about Hans Wilford9345844fe162b519794ac161e86f31bd.jpgc046570f375a35dbdb009a1b818e618f.jpg049b2d0009eb702b61511a1ee72ef0ed.jpg

5 hours ago, teng said:

Thank you SAS,

The watch is running now. Due to the plate which hold the center pinion wheel was to tight.

Watch movement marked Rebberg W co. I agreed hands are luminated but the lumination broke down. I'm looking for the similar lumination to redo it. But I have no idea the original color was.

Case marked Fahys Montauk wire lugs, I'm not sure if this is an original case or not.

I really appreciate yout information and the link you provide for more information about Hans Wilford9345844fe162b519794ac161e86f31bd.jpgc046570f375a35dbdb009a1b818e618f.jpg049b2d0009eb702b61511a1ee72ef0ed.jpg

Ok the montauk case is pretty rare due to its slightly larger size normally used with American movements. The original lume would have looked greenish but if was still there will def have a considerable amount of patina, so i would leave it as is. It’s not good to add new lume to a vintage dial. Could just be a rebberg trench which is still very rare and will Carry almost as much value as a signed Rolex rebberg.

• Like 1

Ok the montauk case is pretty rare due to its slightly larger size normally used with American movements. The original lume would have looked greenish but if was still there will def have a considerable amount of patina, so i would leave it as is. It’s not good to add new lume to a vintage dial. Could just be a rebberg trench which is still very rare and will Carry almost as much value as a signed Rolex rebberg.
I thought someone recase this Rebberg to a Fahys Montauk. This is 23.3mm measurement movement. Picture is close up for all hands. Hour hand and sweep hand the lume was broken of. That's why I wanted to relume. But you recommended leave them as it is. It looks better this way, I haven't thought about new lume hands and vintage dial. Thank you for your advice saswatch2ff61eae66a6ccac7e25b5da926abcf9.jpg51ccfd95e9e5ec5cc561b669894056ba.jpg

I thought someone recase this Rebberg to a Fahys Montauk. This is 23.3mm measurement movement. Picture is close up for all hands. Hour hand and sweep hand the lume was broken of. That's why I wanted to relume. But you recommended leave them as it is. It looks better this way, I haven't thought about new lume hands and vintage dial. Thank you for your advice saswatch2ff61eae66a6ccac7e25b5da926abcf9.jpg&key=49e567ae3893140bcb2892f2529e8c84868fe9e38b0ae114a820fcab45029b1851ccfd95e9e5ec5cc561b669894056ba.jpg&key=d256d685e2bc4d162442ea72db2624030f0149609576151ed3cdbd3f64247bea

The case has broken wire lug, I will need a jewelry help to solder or weld it back.

I will post pictures when it's completely restored b64fc70038e7edb27b0e4559bbfc35ee.jpg

Small size like that makes it a nurses watch and def. could have been recased since fahys was an American based watch case company, and I am not sure if they ever had any relation to rebberg, there is no documentation on that. But the montauk cases are nice since they have a wider more thicker bezel then most cases for the same size movement, def send pics, I am a huge collector of trench watches, mostly American but i have a few Swiss and I am pretty well versed with the early Swiss Ébauches movements.