Atomik Mars 71 Chronograph (Cal.Valjoux 7734) Restoration Project

Hello, everybody.

I wanted to share my restoration stories that I have done for a long time and thrown into my archive. First I discussed the Atomic Mars 71 Brand using Valjoux 7734.

As it was seen, scratch and dial is broken. To begin with, I tried to brush the Case as Brushed and make it the first day. If it is decorated, I polished and re-painted the indexes (with acrylic paint). I usually do this in three layers so that the paint is not deleted in a short time.

I replaced the case buttons and tubes with aftermarket buttons.

Since the condition of the dial was in very poor condition, I had it re-painted. The quality is not so good. In Turkey, unfortunately, not doing the job well.

Caliber 7734 (Valjoux) is a special and robust mechanism for me. With good maintenance and lubrication, you can reduce deflection values up to 3-4 seconds per day. I added a short timelapse video about it :)

As a result, such a result came before us.

Thank you

Taskin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKH6yTKUfpM

IMG_8056.JPG

IMG_8057.JPG

IMG_8227.JPG

DSC_7719.JPG

DSC_7720.JPG

DSC_7721.JPG

DSC_7722.JPG

DSC_7725.JPG

DSC_7726.JPG

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, anilv said:

Great job. I think the dial turned out great!

Anilv

thank you :)

11 hours ago, AlexeiJ1 said:

The dial printing looks fab. There is a guy in Sydney who does half as good a job as that.

Well done.

frankly I was also very surprised. normally he did bad things, but I liked it. my goal is to do dial restoration. thank you :)

10 hours ago, Redwood said:

love it 

thank you :)

I think you did a fantastic job on a very nice (rare?) watch :thumbsu:

The before and after pics are just with stunning differences; well done :Bravo:

I work nearly on a daily basis with the Russian equivalent of the Valjoux 7734, the Poljot 3133. I too think they are very good movements and often get to run them very accurate too ......

The Poljot 3133 are still "cheap", but their prices are rising steeply ..... with some luck one can still stumble over rare pieces, like this fully restored commemorative 3133 chronograph, commemorating the space-station the MIR 1986-2001. So far only three are known to exist; bought in poor condition for just €95 !

380957767_MIRcopy.thumb.jpg.480b081718596449770712d7c6206940.jpg

Edited by Endeavor
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
On 1/2/2020 at 9:07 PM, Usluyan said:

Hello, everybody.

I wanted to share my restoration stories that I have done for a long time and thrown into my archive. First I discussed the Atomic Mars 71 Brand using Valjoux 7734.

As it was seen, scratch and dial is broken. To begin with, I tried to brush the Case as Brushed and make it the first day. If it is decorated, I polished and re-painted the indexes (with acrylic paint). I usually do this in three layers so that the paint is not deleted in a short time.

I replaced the case buttons and tubes with aftermarket buttons.

Since the condition of the dial was in very poor condition, I had it re-painted. The quality is not so good. In Turkey, unfortunately, not doing the job well.

Caliber 7734 (Valjoux) is a special and robust mechanism for me. With good maintenance and lubrication, you can reduce deflection values up to 3-4 seconds per day. I added a short timelapse video about it :)

As a result, such a result came before us.

Thank you

Taskin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKH6yTKUfpM

IMG_8056.JPG

IMG_8057.JPG

IMG_8227.JPG

DSC_7719.JPG

DSC_7720.JPG

DSC_7721.JPG

DSC_7722.JPG

DSC_7725.JPG

DSC_7726.JPG

Really great job. - If I need any Dial restoration, you're the man...! ✔✔✔

• 6 months later...

Looks fantastic!

If you scrutinize the before-after dial photos, I can see minor differences, maybe this is why you didn't like the dial restoration. Just looking at the after photo, it looks amazing.

Can you share a link or address to the dial reprinter? I have a valjoux7733 dial that needs refinishing.

The places I have contacted in the US haven't been able to share any photo examples of 1970s chrono dials, so I'm not that confident in their abilities.

• 2 weeks later...