recognising calibres

gary17

Hi

I know you get the calibre of a watch from the movement. But i also know a lot of these companies buy basic movements and add or change them.

A lot seem to be by eta. Is there away of knowing what eta calibre model it is.Or does this all come down to experience?

cheers

gary

Sometimes you find the information mentioned on the internet other times you just recognize the similarities between the 2 movements.

Some movements are just branded with a different name, others are modified to some extent. 

Edited by Chopin

Hi Gary  As you appreciate most movements have logos and calbre  numbers but those that dont  usually have the same characteristics  of the numbered variatey The most common movement ported onto other manufacturers cases is as you say the ETA family  eubauches. the older unmarked  movements were identified by the flume or setting lever spring . The Bestfit books are good for this or there are specific books on flume identification, They are quite expensive. The Bestfit Books I and II were put on the site by OLD HIPPY some time ago and are mine of information, probably the watch makers Bible. There is no substitute for experience.       

• Thanks 1

Hi Gary  I found them   If you type bestfit into the search at the top right it will list all incidents of the word just step down them untill you find Old Hippy post with the two links, open the links and down load the books,  ok. They are in zipped format  for transmission.

8 hours ago, watchweasol said:

Hi Gary  I found them   If you type bestfit into the search at the top right it will list all incidents of the word just step down them untill you find Old Hippy post with the two links, open the links and down load the books,  ok. They are in zipped format  for transmission.

The links have expired.