Pin pallet question

Fellow horologists, happy new year to you all and thanks for all the help so far and in the coming years.

Right here we go, I’m wondering wether or how do you set a pin pallet movement in beat?

as there are no pins for the pallet there is no visual reference of where the impulse jewel should sit when at rest.

So having read a few of Mr De Carle books where pin pallets are mentioned but he doesn’t mention anything about putting in beat.

Yes I saw that also, and the manipulation of the pin arms themselves for the correct lock etc.

I was wondering if there was a ref point to work from for the impulse jewel ( ok it doesn’t have a jewel but a nice piece of brass ) to be in line.

If the movement is powered down the impulse jewel sits off centre to the fork.

Let the balance wheel come to rest, the impulse pin/jewel is in beat, if a slight turn (in clock/anticlock direction ) of the balance wheel , lets the escape wheel/teeth to the verge of drop or lock.

At TDC ( top dead center) of balance wheel, ( balance pivot  & impulse pin & escape arbor fall on a streight line).

So mark the balance wheel ( at rest) and main plate so the two marks are in front of each other, turn balance wheel to the point you see the pin( pallet) about to drop or lock. The arch you have turned the balance wheel, is how much the roller or hairspring is to be adjusted.

Regards joe

• Like 3

No book, no school, that is a simple common sense approach to all mech timings, be it timing valves in automobile engines, escapement or else. 

You would keep an eye on escape wheel,( for instance )observe when its about to do a drop you mark the angular position balance wheel is at, at that instance, that is when the fork is about to receive energy from the drop and deliver it ( the energy in the form of impulse) to the impulse pin/jewel, you want the delivery to happen at the instance the guard pin is in roller hollow. Think about the workings of escape mech,  the whole picture will come to you, you will master the approach,  in couple of tries. 

Best wishes.  

• Like 1

Hi  T  de Carles book chapter 6 there are several pages explaining the pin pallet operation and adjustment. Mine is the second edition and quite old. But as Joe explains its just a job of observing the lockings and making any adjustment as required. In beat is when the arm of the fork is centered between the index/banking pins at rest no powerand the pallet pins are just about to release and lock to achieve this its the same as theJewel lever done by adjusting the balance spring on the staff to achieve the center.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi  T  If you wish to delve deeper into pin pallet types and repair there is a book by Robert D Porter who seems to be the expert on pin pallets Amazon £35   ASIN B0006QQYE4  there is no ISBN number for it,  I have seen copies on ebay but all seem to be from America

2 hours ago, transporter said:

Just looked at that book and it appears to be more for clocks. I’m working on a pin pallet pocket watch, although I might still get it and add it to my growing collection

that book?    what is the title?     vin

• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Topics

• I've remained silent on this thread, and at the risk of upsetting everyone, the thing that worries me the most the the apparent absence of Mark. The moderators do a great job and the members also pitch in, and the site seems to run itself, but it is a concern for the future of this forum when the owner is absent for all intents and purposes. Like many of the comments above I would hate to log in one day and things be closed down as I rely on this site for ideas and knowledge and also cheer me up. maybe the Moderators could reach out to him, assuming he does not read this thread, and express our concerns and let us know the plans going forward? some kind of WRT ark
    • That was the exact reason for me starting this thread watchie. Still we haven't worked out how the regulars are going to hook up if it goes tits up. I honestly think something should be arranged to stay in contact, we all help each other so much. 
    • Yeah ive watched that a few times before,  i couldnt find my old school dividers to scribe it up 😅 Yep thats the guy i bought a roll from . Thanks Nicklesilver that answers that perfectly and more or less what i thought an experiment over time would prove . The jumper arm is quite thick along its length, i left it that way intentionally, i thought the original was probably very thin, i didnt see that it was already missing. Setting isn't particularly stiff as such just positive, i still need to take it out and polish where it mates with the stem release. 
    • Yes, "Sold out" is difficult to understand. There doesn't seem to be a lot going on. It's been nine months since any new video was published on the Watch Repair Channel. The Level 4 course on watchfix.com has been in progress for what feels like forever (several years!?). Maybe Mark's enterprises aren't doing well or perhaps already so profitable there's nothing much to motivate him for more material. Or, perhaps these days he's more into crochet. The real reason is probably something entirely different but it would be nice/interesting to know. I don't mean to sound gloomy or pessimistic, but I wouldn't be surprised to be met by an HTTP 404. Every day feels like a gift. Speaking of watchfix.com I've been postponing the "Level 5: Servicing Chronograph Watches" course for a very, very long time. Anyway, I just enrolled on it so it's going to be very interesting to see the videos. I must say, IMO there's nothing really that can compete with Mark's courses when it comes to presentation and video quality. It's simply world-class and makes me associate with some really expensive BBC productions.
    • Steel has some funny properties, or at least counterintuitive. The modulus of elasticity is effectively (not exactly, but close enough) the same for steel that is annealed and hardened. What changes is the point of plastic deformation* . If the movement of your spring doesn't pass that, it should work fine. It looks a little thick, I would thin it a bit maybe from the main body out about halfway, maybe 10-20% thinner (not in thickness, along its form). But if it works it works!   *So- if you have two bars of the same steel, one annealed, one at 600 Vickers (general hardness watch arbors might be), clamp them to a table so the same length is hanging out, and put a weight on the ends, they will bend the same amount. But if you continue to add weight, then remove it, at a point the annealed bar won't return to its original straightness. That's the point of plastic deformation. But up to that point, as springs, they are the same. However- their wear characteristics will be very very different. And getting the hardened bar past its point of plastic deformation takes a lot more effort.