Pin pallet question

Fellow horologists, happy new year to you all and thanks for all the help so far and in the coming years.

Right here we go, I’m wondering wether or how do you set a pin pallet movement in beat?

as there are no pins for the pallet there is no visual reference of where the impulse jewel should sit when at rest.

So having read a few of Mr De Carle books where pin pallets are mentioned but he doesn’t mention anything about putting in beat.

Yes I saw that also, and the manipulation of the pin arms themselves for the correct lock etc.

I was wondering if there was a ref point to work from for the impulse jewel ( ok it doesn’t have a jewel but a nice piece of brass ) to be in line.

If the movement is powered down the impulse jewel sits off centre to the fork.

Let the balance wheel come to rest, the impulse pin/jewel is in beat, if a slight turn (in clock/anticlock direction ) of the balance wheel , lets the escape wheel/teeth to the verge of drop or lock.

At TDC ( top dead center) of balance wheel, ( balance pivot  & impulse pin & escape arbor fall on a streight line).

So mark the balance wheel ( at rest) and main plate so the two marks are in front of each other, turn balance wheel to the point you see the pin( pallet) about to drop or lock. The arch you have turned the balance wheel, is how much the roller or hairspring is to be adjusted.

Regards joe

• Like 3

No book, no school, that is a simple common sense approach to all mech timings, be it timing valves in automobile engines, escapement or else. 

You would keep an eye on escape wheel,( for instance )observe when its about to do a drop you mark the angular position balance wheel is at, at that instance, that is when the fork is about to receive energy from the drop and deliver it ( the energy in the form of impulse) to the impulse pin/jewel, you want the delivery to happen at the instance the guard pin is in roller hollow. Think about the workings of escape mech,  the whole picture will come to you, you will master the approach,  in couple of tries. 

Best wishes.  

• Like 1

Hi  T  de Carles book chapter 6 there are several pages explaining the pin pallet operation and adjustment. Mine is the second edition and quite old. But as Joe explains its just a job of observing the lockings and making any adjustment as required. In beat is when the arm of the fork is centered between the index/banking pins at rest no powerand the pallet pins are just about to release and lock to achieve this its the same as theJewel lever done by adjusting the balance spring on the staff to achieve the center.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi  T  If you wish to delve deeper into pin pallet types and repair there is a book by Robert D Porter who seems to be the expert on pin pallets Amazon £35   ASIN B0006QQYE4  there is no ISBN number for it,  I have seen copies on ebay but all seem to be from America

2 hours ago, transporter said:

Just looked at that book and it appears to be more for clocks. I’m working on a pin pallet pocket watch, although I might still get it and add it to my growing collection

that book?    what is the title?     vin