Over Wound Question

Saying a watch is overwound is a fallacy.

If the spring is fully wound and the watch is not running it is a fundamental problem with the movement. It is impossible to say exactly what is wrong with the watch without examining it in detail. It could be something simple like solid oil gumming up the works, but it is more likely to be a broken pivot, jewel or some other mechanical issue.

• Like 1

I would guess they mean the mainspring is broken?

To be fair, it is a generic term that non-pro's use to self diagnose their watches when they go wrong. "My watch is over-wound"!

In other words - could be anything. If they could describe the exact symptom then you would have a better idea. For example - if the winder turns forever then the mainspring is likely broken. If it turns and flicks back then the click spring is gone. If it winds up fully but does't tick then..... and so on :)

• Like 2

Totally agree, it would be better over a pint! :-)

Now you are talking - don't tempt me! My NYR is to lose another 20lbs - lost 30lbs last year but gained back 10lbs over Christmas and new year, I blame the beer and cider, beer is now currently off the menu, and I am in complete withdrawal :(

Hopefully all it is is that the wheels are a bit gummed up, i usually wind down the main spring, then remove the pallet , then wind up the watch a tad to see how free the wheel train is, this usually tells me whats going on,

• Like 1

The pocket watch was delivered today and it is indeed a 6498. I was getting worried because I saw a similar pocket watch on eBay with a Unitas 6445 that looks almost exactly the same. At first glance I noticed the hairspring is pretty bent but will report back after disassembling. I'll be doing the TimeZone Level 1 course with this movement and might even get the chance to order my first part from the looks of it.