Testing A New Sdlr Camera

A chappie on another forum was offering a Sony H300 SDLR digital camera for a good price last week. His sister had bought it on impulse at the beginning of December, but prefers her iPhone!

Anyway, I wanted a digital camera that would focus down to 1cm - which is what the spec for it said - so bought it, and it arrived today. I've been wandering around Hove this murky afternoon, trying out various shots. I usually photograph my  watches on plain, white paper in daylight, but thought I'd try a quick close-up of my Citizen Eco-Drive by lamplight this evening. Not too bad, but I'll check it out properly for close-up tomorrow morning.

20 Megapixels - each snap is 7.15Mb in size.

post-64-0-39064500-1420659598_thumb.jpg

Edited by WillFly

In my opinion the more pixels the more critical the focus for instance. I have  Nikon D7000 which has 16.2 megapixels and it is a lovely camera but I have found that shutter speed has to be on the quackish side or I don,t get what I call a real crisp shot. My previous camera was a Nikkon D60 which had 10.2 megapixels and focusing was never as critical. A tripod for macro is essential.

Oohh, don't worry - I never choose a camera on the number of pixels - the lens is everything. It's just that my other camera, a Fuji with 6 Mpixels, takes lovely shots - but not down to 1cm. The reason I got this almost-new one for a knock-down price was its ability to focus down to 1cm - the number of pixels was incidental!

I have two mini desk tripods for close-up work.

Edited by WillFly
  • Like 1

Looks good Will. I know you are going to enjoy using that. And you are right, it's all about the glass. The lens I use for the videos actually cost more than the camera body, but I think it was worth it.

One thing I want to do this year is to invest in better lighting so I can reduce my ISO whilst recording/taking pics. 

Yes, I'm going to invest in a nice lamp - daylight/blue bulb or good quality LED.

The camera was bought on 1st December last year for £100 from PC World (RRP £129) - never used - and I got it for £70, incl postage. Good deal as far as I'm concerned.

Edited by WillFly

Here's a question for you all, 3 photos taken with a mobile phone, compact digital & a DSLR. Which one is which and which do you prefer? All were taken in quick succession without flash and were cropped & resized to the same dimensions.

A:

post-80-0-12695200-1420753337_thumb.jpg

B:

post-80-0-96685600-1420753358_thumb.jpg

C:

post-80-0-05931000-1420753386_thumb.jpg 

Answer the man's question, which do you prefer. He wasn't asking you to guess what camera took what. :-)

Was trying to on next post but 3 network is fluctuating in sth london [emoji35]

I prefer b. as it looks to be the nearest in colour rendition.

Edited by ro63rto

Here's a comparison test on a spare Enicar 1292 movement.

The first picture is a section of a photo taken with my old Fuji Finepix - an excellent, but old camera - with 6 Mpixels, at 100% actual size. The second picture is the same section taken with the Sony H300 - this has been reduced to 66% to give the same frame size and dimensions. (No digital buggering about with the images other than that, by the way).

It's an interesting comparison. A picture of the whole movement from each camera revels that, at first glance, the Fuji gives a brighter, smarter-looking photo, whereas the Sony whole picture is darker. This is because the Sony lens is extremely close to the movement - and larger - so it obscures more of the light reaching the movement. However, at a higher resolution, it's obvious that the Sony shows up more detail and is sharper - even at just 66% - than the Fuji. You can see dirt and rust in the Sony picture that's not apparent in the Fuji picture.

post-64-0-11203000-1420797988_thumb.jpg

post-64-0-01286400-1420797995_thumb.jpg

Edited by WillFly

The photos were both taken hand held - elbows resting on the table to eliminate camera shake.

The scrap movement's been sitting in a cardboard box with a loose foam material bottom - possibly a strand has detached itself!

Some nice stuff will-

I have no idea about Sony but check if there is alternative firmware.  I have a Canon 7D and run magiclantern- amazing firmware that opens up even lower end cameras in the Canon line to give them incredible features e.g. fine tuning (focus, percentage of acceptable blown details), built-in timelaspe, HDR video, Dual ISO images, sound capture, lighting capture, movement capture, etc....  

http://www.magiclantern.fm/