BHI Technician Grade Distance Course

fuse63

Hello everyone,

I know I have seen topics on this, but for anyone who has taken this distance course can you tell me the topics that each lesson covers? I know that there are 12, but they don't tell you exactly what the topics are on the website. Also I am located in the USA and was wondering if anyone knows if you have to go to the UK for certain tests? I have read on the website that you can take some in your home country and some you have to go to the UK for, but I am not sure if any of the exams from the 12 lessons require you to travel there.

Thanks

37 minutes ago, watchweasol said:

Hi Doe's it have to be the BHI as there are reputable institutes in America who are I think affiliated to the BHI and cover the states.  The NWCC and AWCI both of whom run courses in watch and clock making and repair. Worth checking out as they are on home turf.

Are these distance learning courses? BHI is, with in person examination. All in all, very demanding and expensive.

For a more practical, goal-oriented trainign check our host Marks at watchrepairlessons.com

I presume you have already read this:

https://bhi.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/BHI-DLC-Technician-Grade-SAMPLE.pdf

I can probably list the contents without fear of breaching copyright, but it might take a while. 

I think there is relatively more theory than you may find elsewhere. Certainly a lot of content on the theory of escapements which is essential if you want to be able to fault-find effectively. There are many practical exercises too, which give you all the details you need to know about the techniques required. 

As far as I understand, you do need to attend in person to sit the exams. Alternatively, just do the coursework and consider sitting it at a later date, or if you are over on holiday. 

I have been a member of the BHI for many years. However I have never attended any of their courses as I have never wanted to become a pro repairer. In their monthly mag they list the courses available and I have noticed they sell out quickly. With the BHI you a can also achieve accreditation which gives yourself and your business a more trusted status with prospective customers. Although BHI has members world wide it is basically a British based organisation it might be better to consider either the NWCC or AWCI.

• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Topics

• Thank you to both of you!  I've been somewhat derailed by this quandary for a couple of days now. I am guessing that the point of the wider tweezers is to support the whole spring at the same time in an effort to prevent it going under tension... I have already discovered the Zen of a clutter free space, and trying to keep my work well away from the edge, however the most terrifying of the flights wasn't so short, I had my work in the middle of the table and nothing else around.  That particular launch was towards me.  I distinctly recall feeling the spring hit my left hand as it escaped.  I only found it by dumb luck, on the floor, between the legs of my chair.  I need to order a pack of replacements just in case.  I think I recall a thread discussing where to find them, and the differences between the clones and the authentic ETA ones, pointing out that they're not interchangeable (the clones being longer IIRC).  Now I just have to find that thread again.  What I haven't mastered is the zen of the search function here.  I'm sure I"ll get that down eventually. So this is similar to, but different from one of the posts I had found in my original searches (or maybe I'm just hallucinating, I can't find the post I thought I remember).  The bits about the corner filled in a gap in what I'd read before.  At least I have a more clear picture in my head about what needs to happen now.  Yes, I've learned about how touchy these springs are.  What I'm not sure I have a good grasp on is the understanding of what causes the spring to flex, other than to say "the slightest little touch"  I think I'm going to try a small bit of Rodico to position the spring next time.
    • I think it's stamped on the inside cover. 309 I think.
    • Hi all, needing a little help. I have an old Casio AQ-321G, but have no idea what battery it takes. I've looked around online, but cannot see anything... I see a 309 stamped on the case back, could this be it....? Can you please help, below are some pictures:
    • The radial teeth are for hte seconds register, and the other (which is simple and doesn' take away significant torque from the train) for the minutes register.
    • The original 6139A manual is very clear in how to disassemble and how to assemble ...... step-by-step. However I haven't seen the 3169B manual, even in the Japanese version around, which clearly highlights the difference in center-wheel.   6139A Seiko Technical Guide.pdf 6139_A.pdf 6139A.pdf 6139b.pdf 6139B repair guide jp.pdf