SEIKO 5

The bezel is a press fit.  Search google for Seiko Casing Guide.  It shows in detail all the various case configurations and steps to assemble.  There is a lot of information in the Introduction of the Casing Guide.

I have a Seiko that looks like the same crystal configuration. Not fun to reinstall and Seiko gasket parts are not around any more.  

24 minutes ago, berniethebolt said:

got to agree,you can see the thread.i have cleaned it and there does not seem to be any damage on the thread itself,but it will not bite.might have to put it on the back burner!

Place parts at eye level. Place the bezel as level as possible, positioned like 10 minutes before the threads mesh. Use case opening ball to press down a bit while rotating. Be reassured, it's just a matter of patience some time.

Edited by jdm
  • Like 1

I have a lot of Seiko watches of this vintage.  The only Seikos I've seen with a screw down bezel are divers.  If this were a screw down bezel, there would be notches.  That is how Seiko does it.  If I remember correctly, there is a prominent grove in the bezel and case that retains the plastic gasket.  

Looking at the parts list for this watch, the gaskets involved have a part number so they are plastic.  Almost every rubber Seiko gasket is coded so you know the shape and size.  OC3060--- is a common case back gasket.  O for o shape (cross section).  Size category C.  30.60 mm ID.  The rest of the letters and numbers mean various things that don't usually matter.   There is a Seiko Gasket guide out there but I can't find it right now.  It gives all the shape and size codes.  You can usually find a generic substitute using this information if genuine Seiko is not available. 

The Seiko Casing Guide will show the construction of the bezel and the tools needed to remove and replace the crystal.  The only dies I could get to work correctly on my bezels were Seiko Tool S-220 dies.  Nothing else had the correct diameter or profile to work correctly. 

I have substituted I-ring and L-ring glass gaskets for Seiko plastic gaskets but they rarely fit the same.  

To further complicate things, the watch case posted does not correspond to most google pictures of a 6309-8840.  It has a 3 o'clock crown and google pictures are mostly 4 o'clock crowns.  There really is no way to know what case that really is.  That case number shows up on several other case shapes and sizes.  Mostly on one case shape with several dial colors.  Seiko does not use the same number for different shapes.  The case backs size is very consistent though.

My guess is the watch came from an Indian seller on eBay.  At a minimum, the case back has been swapped. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, bklake said:

To further complicate things, the watch case posted does not correspond to most google pictures of a 6309-8840.  It has a 3 o'clock crown and google pictures are mostly 4 o'clock crowns.  There really is no way to know what case that really is.  That case number shows up on several other case shapes and sizes.  Mostly on one case shape with several dial colors.  Seiko does not use the same number for different shapes.  The case backs size is very consistent though.

My guess is the watch came from an Indian seller on eBay.  At a minimum, the case back has been swapped. 

you are probably right.having looked at the movement it looks a little shabby although it is working ok.(not timed it yet)might give it back because my friend is not too bothered!

• Similar Content