Worn Crown Wheel Arbor - Can it be repaired?

I recently bought a UT 6565. Upon initial inspection, I realized it didn't wind. It not take long to find out why - the arbor/cylinder that the crown sits on is worn, allowing the wheel to shift out of orbit. Consequently, the crown wheel will not engage and mesh with the clutch wheel. The crown wheel sits on the barrel bridge. Please see pictures.

Short of replacing the barrel bridge, is there anyway to fix this? I don't have a torch (just an electrical soldering iron and solder).

highlevel.thumb.jpg.0015dbf5a74a2064f74f760a48e58902.jpgclose.jpg.95ab1ed9d4632343624fedd760f4e62e.jpg

Solder isn't going to 'weld' to the damaged brass under the plating and will come loose once you started to shape it. I would spend a small amount of money on a replacement bridge, or donor movement.

Edited by Jon

Agreed..solder is very soft  it would not be a practical repair.properly cleaned and fluxed you could get a blob of it to stick..but I don't  think it would do you much good. You would still have to shape it precisely  enough to work..and even  if you could  do that. It wouldn't  hold up to the load.  Agree  with Jon.parts need replacement. 

6 hours ago, jdrichard said:

I would put it in my lathe on a three jaw chuck and make it round, and of course smaller. Then I would make a ring the can be placed over the new circle, and make it the same size as the old bridge circle, then place the crown wheel in place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

That's the perfect way to do it JD! You could even turn down a large clock bush to suit and then open up the hole to fit over the newly shaped post. A bit of loctite and the jobs a good un

• Like 1