Hello from Gothenburg, Sweden.

Bjorn

Hi.

Hmm introduction to my self.

I have always been intrested in how mechanical and electronic stuff works. Like to tear down to learn how and hopefully putting it back together working.

Have done some old sewing machines, snowblower, bicycles...

I am an electronics engineer and working with system verification so a lot time is spent in an office infront of a computer. So to satisfy my need for practical work I have now turned into watches since i do not have the space for larger projects. It started with a birthday gift for my father inlaw who wanted a new watch. So my mother inlaw picked up an automatic Seiko that we contributed to. Me on my hand is more of an Swiss watch guy, owning two Certina and going trough old stuff after a recent move, I found an old Longines that I learnt belonged to my mothers father that I sadly have no memories of since he pasted away too early. Felt that I wanted to restore that old Longines so I had a Longines dealer have a look at it and got an estimation of 1900 euro too restore it since they would send it to the factory. Since I am on parental leave, 1900euro is not what I can afford for a clock that is running but need a good clean and serviced back to water resistance. So here I am, looking for options to ultimatly restore that watch. The plan is to get a setup for a small diy watch repairshop, train on some watch without sentmental value and go from there. 

I have an alternative price for servicing the Longines at another dealer for 400 to 600 euro that I may do if I find my hands too shaky. 

Future will tell...

Latest is that i have bought some watches, some equipment and some movements for repair.

Still looking for info on oiling, cleaning fluids, glass replacement and service instructions/parts sheets/movements documentation for Certina, Longines and Tissot as these are the brands I am focusing on to start with.

Hi Bjorn,

I would suggest getting used to taking a watch apart and putting it back together, before worrying about cleaning and oiling it, just to get used to using tweezers and screwdrivers.

A good watch to start with would be a Molnija 3602 or a Seagull ST 36, because they are big and easy to work on, but also relatively cheap! (£30 to £40) The Seagull is a copy of the ETA 6947. I teach watchmaking and this is what I get my students to work on first. They don't go near a cleaning machine or oiler until they know how to disassemble/assemble a watch and know how it works. If you already have some old watches to work on, that's great.

I've attached a schematic of the ETA 6497, to get an idea of what the parts are and eventually where to oil and what oil to use.

If you ask 10 watchmakers which oil they use, you'll get 14 different answers, as it is very subjective!

Cousinsuk.com are a great source of downloadable movement schematics for watches, just put the movement number in the search box and hey presto: https://www.cousinsuk.com/document

I started cleaning with lighter fluid as a cleaner and isopropyl alcohol as a rinse and using these cheap pots from cousins to clean them in: https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/aluminium-pots-in-cardboard-box or use some ramekin dishes, if you have any spare

ETA 6497-2.pdf

36 minutes ago, Bjorn said:

Hi.

Hmm introduction to my self.

I have always been intrested in how mechanical and electronic stuff works. Like to tear down to learn how and hopefully putting it back together working.

Have done some old sewing machines, snowblower, bicycles...

I am an electronics engineer and working with system verification so a lot time is spent in an office infront of a computer. So to satisfy my need for practical work I have now turned into watches since i do not have the space for larger projects. It started with a birthday gift for my father inlaw who wanted a new watch. So my mother inlaw picked up an automatic Seiko that we contributed to. Me on my hand is more of an Swiss watch guy, owning two Certina and going trough old stuff after a recent move, I found an old Longines that I learnt belonged to my mothers father that I sadly have no memories of since he pasted away too early. Felt that I wanted to restore that old Longines so I had a Longines dealer have a look at it and got an estimation of 1900 euro too restore it since they would send it to the factory. Since I am on parental leave, 1900euro is not what I can afford for a clock that is running but need a good clean and serviced back to water resistance. So here I am, looking for options to ultimatly restore that watch. The plan is to get a setup for a small diy watch repairshop, train on some watch without sentmental value and go from there. 

I have an alternative price for servicing the Longines at another dealer for 400 to 600 euro that I may do if I find my hands too shaky. 

Future will tell...

Latest is that i have bought some watches, some equipment and some movements for repair.

Still looking for info on oiling, cleaning fluids, glass replacement and service instructions/parts sheets/movements documentation for Certina, Longines and Tissot as these are the brands I am focusing on to start with.

how about some electronics text manules?    i am shure they exist.  as a mechanic,  i hate electricity.  vin