Getting started with equipment

nellis003

Hi all,

I'm new to watch repair, so before I invest too much in tools and equipment I thought I'd get some opinions here.

Would an inexpensive ultrasonic jewelry cleaner like the one listed below be a good way to start practicing disassembling, cleaning, and reassembling a couple inexpensive watches I have to get myself started?  

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HZVYAVM/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza

I already have the basic tools, so the cleaner is the only thing stopping me from getting my feet wet.  

Thanks,

Nick

Dont just rely on an ultrasonic to do your cleanings, you really dont need one to appropriately clean a movement. Even if you get one you still need to do some manual cleaning before and after the ultrasonic process. IF you have a Harbor freight tools they have a really good one for $60, or you can find decent ones on ebay and amazon.

That one might work OK for a while.  Spend a little more and get a better one with a stainless tank.  It will last longer.  Also, you will need small glass jars for cleaning solutions or solvents (Amazon), pith wood, and peg wood to clean the pivots and jewels (Esslingers or CousinsUK).  Maybe some wire baskets made for watch parts is a good idea as well.

Edited by rduckwor