Seiko balance removal

carlos123

Hi all,

I need to replace the balance spring of my Seiko divers watch but am unsure how it comes off. It looks to be clipped in but didn’t want to try and pop it out and cause damage, does anyone know how these come out?

Thanks in advance

Carl

195e2b4949fd33b612354bf188812599.jpg17d640b60b8d18252f54d40ae5c5c7ac.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You mean removing  balance complete, or the hairspring? Have you eve worked on a wathc mov't before?

Watch the video below but be aware that is a very delicate area, so it's pretty normal for a beginner to cause damage.

1 minute ago, carlos123 said:

Sorry it’s a bit early for me! It’s the hairspring I need to remove and replace. I have worked on movements before with some success but still a beginner

I see, I was confused by your pictures that have nothing to do with the hairspring.
As discusses already in the past, these hairspring are not removable from the balance staff. If you try, it will most likely break on removal or refitting. 
So you will have to replace the balance complete.

I see, I was confused by your pictures that have nothing to do with the hairspring.
As discusses already in the past, these hairspring are not removable from the balance staff. If you try, it will most likely break on removal or refitting. 
So you will have to replace the balance complete.

I want to remove not from the plate rather than the balance staff just wasn’t sure how it pops off

Just now, carlos123 said:

I want to remove not from the plate rather than the balance staff just wasn’t sure how it pops off

Answered above:
 these hairspring are not removable from the balance staff. If you try, it will most likely break on removal or refitting. 

Otherwise, what is exactly that you want to do, and why?

Answered above:
 these hairspring are not removable from the balance staff. If you try, it will most likely break on removal or refitting. 
Otherwise, what is exactly that you want to do, and why?

The hairspring looks like has had its day and needs replacing, either someone has had a play before or the “Seiko shake” has caused it to fail. It was gaining 500ish seconds a day. I wanted to see how the hairspring looks in its relaxed position to work out if it can be repaired or if I’ll have to buy a replacement.

13 minutes ago, carlos123 said:

I wanted to see how the hairspring looks in its relaxed position to work out if it can be repaired or if I’ll have to buy a replacement.

You can take and post a good picture, normally minor hairspring defects can be corrected. For replacement, as mentioned already, the only option is the balance complete, which is quite expensive in relation to a complete mov't. They are also available from China for cheap, but I haven't ever tried.

You can take and post a good picture, normally minor hairspring defects can be corrected. For replacement, as mentioned already, the only option is the balance complete, which is quite expensive in relation to a complete mov't. They are also available from China for cheap, but I haven't ever tried.

I’ve seen the hairsprings and balance wheel for as cheap as £5 although not OEM. I just need to work out how to separate the hairspring.

The stud is removed from the plate by pushing the index into full fast, rotating the etachron key on the index to full open, and then just simply pushing on the stud out of the stud carrier clip. The Seiko collet is possible to remove. I have removed a few without consequence. Problem is, do you know how to vibrate an oscillator? A hairspring has to be tuned to each balance upon installation. It's best if you try to bend the original back in shape or swap in a pre-vibrated balance-hairspring combo. Replacing just the hairspring takes an unrealistic amount of time and resource for this low cost movement especially since vibrating a hairspring requires hours of work and expensive equipment.

The stud is removed from the plate by pushing the index into full fast, rotating the etachron key on the index to full open, and then just simply pushing on the stud out of the stud carrier clip. The Seiko collet is possible to remove. I have removed a few without consequence. Problem is, do you know how to vibrate an oscillator? A hairspring has to be tuned to each balance upon installation. It's best if you try to bend the original back in shape or swap in a pre-vibrated balance-hairspring combo. Replacing just the hairspring takes an unrealistic amount of time and resource for this low cost movement especially since vibrating a hairspring requires hours of work and expensive equipment.

Thanks for the info, I have no intention to remove the hairspring as a single component. So basically index into full fast, the turn the brass studs to release the spring?

What you want to do is called: Remove balance complete from stud arm

48 minutes ago, carlos123 said:

basically index into full fast, the turn the brass studs to release the spring?

No. As written above: simply pushing on the stud out of the stud carrier clip

That is quite easy, but refitting is not so much. Refer to the attached, which has a section dedicated to this task.

7S26C_36C.pdf

What you want to do is called: Remove balance complete from stud arm
No. As written above: simply pushing on the stud out of the stud carrier clip
That is quite easy, but refitting is not so much. Refer to the attached, which has a section dedicated to this task.
7S26C_36C.pdf

Brilliant thanks [emoji4]

I find using an EtaChron removal tool the safest way to remove the stud, as it doesn't have any downward pressure, and removes the risk of slipping with whatever you are trying to pry the stud out with, also it takes away the risk of bending/snapping the stud carrier. All the pressure is sideways using the EtaChron tool. I made my own, which in essence looks like a 3 to 4 mm screwdriver head with a slot in it. As already mentioned, replacing the stud is a lot harder. Do this by having the balance fixed into the main plate for stability, with no other parts fitted

Image result for etachron removal tool"

• Like 2

I find using an EtaChron removal tool the safest way to remove the stud, as it doesn't have any downward pressure, and removes the risk of slipping with whatever you are trying to pry the stud out with, also it takes away the risk of bending/snapping the stud carrier. All the pressure is sideways using the EtaChron tool. I made my own, which in essence looks like a 3 to 4 mm screwdriver head with a slot in it. As already mentioned, replacing the stud is a lot harder. Do this by having the balance fixed into the main plate for stability, with no other parts fitted
af-185600-swiss-etachron-stud-removing-fork.jpg&key=ca252d983a527f5d2bddc5d2db66f8e2f54afd824d595ec14df9aa4f89ef4db5

Managed to obtain a tool that resembles your and worked perfectly.
0eff0e244b8e96a60a267d33e807a828.jpg

I managed to manipulate the spring which was a bit of a mess and made it resemble a spring again although not perfect. On refitting the brass stud it shot off like a rocket detaching from the spring never to be seen again [emoji2955]

I’ve ordered a new assembly, hopefully I can master reconnecting it...

Thanks for everyone’s help

Cheers

Carl

10 minutes ago, carlos123 said:

I’ve ordered a new assembly, hopefully I can master reconnecting it...

I had opened a topic asking this but it didn't come to much. In the end, with the stud the right position, I push it inward with tweezers kept horizontal. Practice first with a scrap balance until you master the technique.

I had opened a topic asking this but it didn't come to much. In the end, with the stud the right position, I push it inward with tweezers kept horizontal. Practice first with a scrap balance until you master the technique.

I actually bought two, just in case.... [emoji1696]