Unknown tool

Tore

I suppose a picture would help. Before the lever escapement there were other escapement's one of them that was very popular was the cylinder escapement. It is an interesting feature where if you break a pivot off it can be replaced.

Then a note regarding proper horological terminology? A lot of this will depend upon when and where you are. There are quite a few parts that will have multiple of names for the exact same part. This leads to irritation and confusion by the material house people when people insist on using names different than what they're used to. So for instance grabbing a copy of Britain's watch and clock makers handbook dictionary and guide refers to the things that go in the cylinder as plugs.

Continuing with my amusement on terminology I would agree with Tmuir that his terminology is correct because I've seen references to that. But grabbing a another reference that I would consider more reliable or at least better or perhaps is the book The Illustrated Professional Dictionary of Horology by G A Berner a rather interesting book because It has lots of horological terms and it's in three languages. So in its definition or talking about the cylinder it refers to the things on the end as plugs made of steel.

There is an electronic version of the book available at the link below which totally sucks for the definition of what a cylinder escapement is as it's lacking quite a few words missing from the book itself. But apparently the book is available for purchase and yes it's always been expensive if you could find it.

https://www.fhs.swiss/eng/dictionary.html

Cylinder esc.JPG

• Like 2

Hopefully these 3 pictures will explain the use to you on how they are used to remove and insatll the cylinder plugs show in John's post

This is from Archie B Perkins book Antique Watch Restoration Volume 1 which is just 1 of 4 great books from Archie if you have the money spare as they are not cheap.

585438466_cylinderplugs2.thumb.jpg.79e4a5228b9802d4d77263f3ec187471.jpg

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, Tmuir said:

You could be correct that Tampon may be the French terminology for the part.

It occurred to me that as my dictionary is in four languages and you mentioned the word French I scanned in the French section. I've also highlighted the appropriate section of words that were interested in.

cyl-fr.JPG

• Like 1

in the past you to purchase the cylinders all assembled or the plugs and cylinder separate. As at one time this was a relatively common escapement. Occasionally though come up on eBay

Or if you type in the right search term you can find pictures I was looking for pictures of the components but I think you'll find these pictures useful

https://timepieceshoppe.com/cylinder-watch-mechanical-restoration/

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Tore said:

Thank you for solving the mistery tool. That was splended. I wonder if i ever gonna use it, and it looks unused.  I presum the plugs must be maked in a lathe, if the tools are used?

I doubt if youl ever use it. i serviced one of those mvmt.  watchs ---I'll never buy another one.  cheers  vin