Bobb

Bobb

Hello!  I know this is a watch forum, but I believe that clock questions are also welcomed, so based on that, I hope that someone can point me in the right direction, on my question :

I have a wall clock ( not old - about 30 yrs ) which has a battery powered clock 'movement' . It has a powered pendulum and two different  1/4 hour  & hour chimes ( one is the Westminster chime ) which can be selected. Anyhow, the clock is of no antique value (obviously ) but is of sentimental value. For the past few months, the hands don't turn ( or do so, now and again, randomly ) and unless they cross the 15 min. / hour marks, there is no chime. The pendulum however continues doing it's thing. Now this clock was not expensive or of any big name and the hands / chime is a small  box / battery holder. I have looked online for a replacement, and have seen some very similar looking ones, but they don't have the chime ability ( electronic chime / speaker ) . I wonder if anyone knows if such a replacement unit is available, or what the search term is for it,  and where I might look for one?  Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Hi Bobb,

Welcome to the group..

I had a quick look on ebay, this one turned up. If you are going to keep for sentimental reasons, look where this movement is there are cheap chime clocks, maybe cobble one up from one..

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Seiko-Quartz-Strike-Chime-Clock-Movement-Euro-Shaft-16-5-mm-Speaker-68-x82/264563944209?hash=item3d993d6b11:g:WE0AAOSw5PJbElgL 

Also there are a lot of members on here that might know  other sources..

Good luck Len

Hi Len and thanks for the swift reply! That appears to be the sort of thing I am looking for. as yet, I haven't taken the clock apart to actually see what the unit physically looks like, but it might me repairable, but TBH, I would imagine it is case of simply replace the whole unit. In the mean time, I'll leave this post parked here, and if someone swings by that has run across the same item. I will post some pictures, when I actually strip it down. In the mean time, thanks for the help!

Depending where you are based it may be better to buy from a wholesaler such as Cousin here in the U.K, you say the clock is fitted with a pendulum so you will need a movement with a drive unit built in for the pendulum. As far as repair goes clock repairers would not waste time trying to they would just do a straight swap out of the movement, you need to identify the movement fitted cousins have Hermle and Seiko versions available:

https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/strike-chime-with-pendulum-hermle

https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/strike-chime-with-pendulum-seiko

Also bare in mind that you would need one with the correct shaft size.