Dial mark on Zenith

Daneel

I picked this up on Ebay and love the design, but failed to spot the mark around the 2 o'clock marker. The same issue looks to be starting at 3 o'clock. Can anyone suggest what the problem might be, and the best way to tackle it?

Link for higher resolution - http://imgur.com/a/kebkfaP

Thank you! 276bff9e25fae7a21f7901aa171fb30f.jpg&key=cc45f2aa08cedb44f34fedc9493e7f6595dcd6ab77c9c89e34be17d32c6e2fad

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

Difficult to say what it might be, but it is possibly fungus or moisture reacting with the glue holding the marker to the dial.

As to what to do about it, proceed with extreme caution. Examine under high magnification, preferably a microscope, so you can see if the dial finish is damaged, or if the dark mark is only on the surface.

Difficult to say what it might be, but it is possibly fungus or moisture reacting with the glue holding the marker to the dial.
As to what to do about it, proceed with extreme caution. Examine under high magnification, preferably a microscope, so you can see if the dial finish is damaged, or if the dark mark is only on the surface.
Thanks. Is this something I need zenith to do (that's sounding very expensive), or a capable watchmaker can handle?

Chemical recation between markers and dial? Is it a plated dial?
Send an email to Zenith and tell them that you are a long term customer but are dissapointed; can you help? etc.
Agreed. I sent them an email over the weekend, hoping for a reply early this week.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Having sent the watch to Zenith, the came back to me with a repair bill of $670 for a new crown and gaskets, and another $306 for the dial (which they would not do separately from the crown replacement). Given the value of the watch, I declined to proceed and asked for the watch to be returned. I just picked up a replacement dial and am wondering if I should have a try at fitting it myself, or employ the services of a watchmaker. Does anyone have experience of replacing a dial on a Zenith Elite they can share please? Also, any ideas where to source correctly sized gaskets?

2 hours ago, Daneel said:

I just picked up a replacement dial and am wondering if I should have a try at fitting it myself, or employ the services of a watchmaker. Does anyone have experience of replacing a dial on a Zenith Elite they can share please? Also, any ideas where to source correctly sized gaskets?

If you don't plan to do further work on watches in the future I would give it to a watchmaker. He will get all parts needed for you.