favre leuba spring

gary17

Hey

This is a favre leuba cal 253 .Can any one tell me were this spring goes to return the clutch lever. If i put it were i think it goes (see first pic).

The wheel don't fit right. it to high , the setting bridge wont locate. But i cannot see were else to put it.

any suggestions.

Or diagrams.

cheers

gary

IMG_20191213_225746.jpg

IMG_20191213_225627.jpg

Did you notice your setting lever has a protruding pin? Normally the spring would go behind the lever doesn't look like there's room?  So looks like your spring should have the long part pushing on the protruding pin of the lever the rest of it will go in the  recessed area next to it then the plates will go on top and hold everything in place.

http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?10&ranfft&0&2uswk&Favre-Leuba_253

Hi

Yer the problem seems to be were the spring is secured. When you put the wheel on top of the spring there is nothing left of the column to locate the bridge. If you try the spring will not stay in position. I was hoping someone had come across this problem. 

Regards

Gary

Does the spring not fit as shown, behind the lever, rather than locate on the pin (column) on top of the lever.

SpringIssue.jpg.76be9fcab76ceb6f7f71db0d874ece99.jpg

The pin (column) is there to locate the upper keyless lever, not to locate the spring I think.

When fitting, take care not to launch it in to space (cover with tip of pegwood, or a blob of rodico when fitting). Place the upper lever immediately after fitting to avoid any flying spring incidents.

Edited by AndyHull

I would disagree with the location of the spring in the picture above the reason for this is in the picture I have the post circled in green has a wheel that goes there missing in this picture would be helpful if that would go back on its post. Then there's zero space behind the setting lever to put in a spring at all. This is where the protruding post becomes interesting and the circular recess that's level with the spring. So in my version the drawing you can see what I think the spring should go.

jumper spring.JPG

• Like 2

3 hours ago, JohnR725 said:

I would disagree with the location of the spring in the picture above the reason for this is in the picture I have the post circled in green has a wheel that goes there missing in this picture would be helpful if that would go back on its post. Then there's zero space behind the setting lever to put in a spring at all. This is where the protruding post becomes interesting and the circular recess that's level with the spring. So in my version the drawing you can see what I think the spring should go.

jumper spring.JPG

I agree, the green circled area is where another gear is supposed to go (otherwise you won't be able to set the hands).

The spring most likely goes where the pink mark is. Sometimes these springs don't have an obvious-looking designated spot where they go, I guess that's how some makers made their movements back in the days.

A quick look at the parts catalogue sheet on Cousins suggests that your spring isn’t quite the right shape which will always make the guesswork harder. Cousins has them in stock at only £2.20 so worth getting a replacement.

The installation is a little unusual, but the Google drive link in this thread has a pretty good image

https://www.watchrepairtalk.com/topic/1919-favre-leuba-253-service/page/2/

There is also a suggestion in that thread that the barrel arbours might not both be the same. Worth a check they are in the right places.