Timex Automatics

I think they are nice enough, and I almost pulled the trigger on a Marlin when they first came out. Decided I would stick with the originals, didn't need a reissue. Especially a $250 one.

Now, if they were $29.95 .....................

10 minutes ago, Marc said:

Miyota movement so nothing to complain about the mechanics.

But perhaps about the price. Base Miyota is $45 retail, case dial and face worth $15 made in quantity. For the same price one can get much more value from a microbrand.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, jdm said:

But perhaps about the price. Base Miyota is $45 retail, case dial and face worth $15 made in quantity. For the same price one can get much more value from a microbrand.

Another way of looking at it is building it yourself, the ultimate microbrand.

Cheapest Miyota movement at Cousins £36 (inc vat)

Cheapest diver style case on eBay £26 with no claim to water resistance

Dial & hand set £15

Decent leather strap £10

Total £87, you have to assemble it yourself which means that you have to buy some tools as well, and you have no effective warranties, particularly if the case leaks and destroys the movement, dial and hands.

This Timex works out at £170, has a 100m water resistance rating, and will have the manufacturers warranty and no need for any tools. I don't think that's too bad.

What microbrands are you referring to?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Marc said:

What microbrands are you referring to?

There is a new wave existing and growing in the last 5 years or so. I am no collector and I don't want to derail the topics so no precise pointers but all one has to do is to spend some time on Watchuseek, or searching "automatic" on Kickstarter.

I think this watch got various style elements right e.g. the hour hand windowing "military" time, rotating bezel, and of course being mechanical. These often determine the success more than others.

Edited by jdm

I guess you pays your money and you takes your choice.

I still like the Timex though, and even though you can pay less for similar (or even better) specs, Vostok Amphibia for instance, I don't think the price is too bad.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Marc said:

This Timex works out at £170,

Or £229 if you buy it from the Timex UK site (but it is currently out of stock).

A bit of a cheek charging more in the UK than Canada, but then again we should be used to that. Most US items arrived with a pound per dollar price in the UK.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, AndyHull said:

Or £229 if you buy it from the Timex UK site (but it is currently out of stock).

I have be honest I didn't check Timex UK, and like you say @AndyHull it's a bit cheeky stinging us Brits a premium price. At £229 it's pushing the outer limits of reasonable and entering into much more competetive territory, I guess best option is to buy it from Canada if it's what you want.

2 minutes ago, Marc said:

I guess best option is to buy it from Canada if it's what you want.

And be charged 20% + handling fees at Customs. Prices are lower in the USA (no VAT) and Canada (10% ?) exactly because of that.

Edited by jdm

1 hour ago, jdm said:

Not exactly the same style, very different brand heritage, and slightly more expensive after agent and exchange fees, but what about an iconic (2nd hand) Seiko Alpinist?

https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/w93946798

Picture is mine.

[31390522550_426f915995_z.jpg

If I had the choice between the Seiko and the Timex.... I'd take both. :P

• Like 1