Emporio Armani AR 1648 crystal removal

Hi everyone, first post here.

I have an armani fashion watch and have came across an issue.

The movement is seperate from the watch face, the face seems to be part of the watch case.

No obvious bezel on the watch so unsure on how to remove the crystal to re attach the hands.

I have seen a video on YouTube, which lead me here, using air to pop out the crystal. I was wondering if anyone else has experience with the type of design and if the air method you likely be the best way forward?

IMG_2414.jpeg

IMG_2416.jpeg

Screw the back back on, attach a piece of tubing that will fit on to the stem tube, on to a suitable large syringe, or even a balloon or bicycle pump. 

Attach that to the stem tube. Fire air in through the stem tube, and see if the glass pops out.

This will obviously only work if the pressure can build up, so if the air leaks out of the pushers, or the case back then it wont work, in which case, you might have to be creative with some reversible sealing method, hot melt glue maybe, but be careful you don't gunk things up or  cause any irreversible damage. 

8 hours ago, AlexeiJ1 said:

One of the options would be a hair dryer to try and warm it and see if it releases glue.
Otherwise the air method might be practical as you cant get the dial out without taking the glass out.

What was your reason behind removing the glass?

I will try the air method and some heat tonight.

The pinion on the movement passes through the dial, which cannot be removed from the back of the watch.

To reattach the hands I am assuming that the movement will have to be positioned and the hands then attached from the front of the watch, requiring the crystal to be removed.

6 hours ago, AndyHull said:

Screw the back back on, attach a piece of tubing that will fit on to the stem tube, on to a suitable large syringe, or even a balloon or bicycle pump. 

Attach that to the stem tube. Fire air in through the stem tube, and see if the glass pops out.

This will obviously only work if the pressure can build up, so if the air leaks out of the pushers, or the case back then it wont work, in which case, you might have to be creative with some reversible sealing method, hot melt glue maybe, but be careful you don't gunk things up or  cause any irreversible damage. 

Cheers Andy,

Would you be able to link an example of some reversible sealing methods?

18 minutes ago, JesusThe2nd said:

Cheers Andy,

Would you be able to link an example of some reversible sealing methods?

I would improvise. Perhaps screw the caseback down on a piece of party balloon, if it doesn't have an airtight seal from the factory. Anything that will keep the air in and let you build enough pressure to pop the crystal off.

Take a look here for more suggestions. -> https://blog.esslinger.com/how-to-remove-a-watch-crystal/

Edited by AndyHull

The bezel should removable, carefully use a sharp blade all around.

Otherwise push through the dial holes with two pieces of plastic or wood using a regular crystal press.

Edited by jdm

At the risk of sounding silly, is it an acrylic crystal or a glass crystal.

It looks like it may be acrylic because it is domed, just like acrylic crystals are, in which case all of the above are viable solutions.

However, I have seen an increasing number of domed glass crystals appearing on this type of watch. Looks just like the domed acrylic but very much more scratch resistant, and brittle.

Pushing a glass crystal out using direct contact on the back of the glass, or blowing it out using air could prove disasterous as there is a strong possibility that it will shatter. If this is the case then I suspect that @jdm's suggestion to check that the bezel is removable is your best way forward.

I am probably wrong about this, but raise the possibility as it's worth being sure to avoid problems.

7 hours ago, Marc said:

At the risk of sounding silly, is it an acrylic crystal or a glass crystal.

It looks like it may be acrylic because it is domed, just like acrylic crystals are, in which case all of the above are viable solutions.

However, I have seen an increasing number of domed glass crystals appearing on this type of watch. Looks just like the domed acrylic but very much more scratch resistant, and brittle.

Pushing a glass crystal out using direct contact on the back of the glass, or blowing it out using air could prove disasterous as there is a strong possibility that it will shatter. If this is the case then I suspect that @jdm's suggestion to check that the bezel is removable is your best way forward.

I am probably wrong about this, but raise the possibility as it's worth being sure to avoid problems.

The crystal is domed glass, apparently sapphire.

There also seems to be no bezel on the watch, the case is one piece with no distinguishable seem where a bezel will attach.

I suspect that the crystal is press fit into the case.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_19c2.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_19c0.jpg

Well guys, I took the risk with the air technique, but also bore in mind Marc's guidance, so made sure I was as delicate as possible...

Crystal came out with no damage and I was able to fully reassemble the watch.

Thank you to everyone that took the time to give advice, very much appreciated.

One last thing, on the watch the second hand is the lower sub-dial, the large second hand is a chronograph.  

This watch was repaired a number of years ago and when it was returned the chronograph hand was at the 3rd increment, instead of at 12.

When I reassembled the watch today I took care to place all hands pointing towards 12. I started the chronograph and it jumped back to the 3rd increment and stopped moving. Starting it again it  works as normal, but again from the 3rd increment. Reseting the chronograph the hand returns back to the third increment, like in the attached photo.

Any idea what may be causing this?

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_19c4.jpg

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, JesusThe2nd said:

This watch was repaired a number of years ago and when it was returned the chronograph hand was at the 3rd increment, instead of at 12.

There should be a way to reset hands position on the module, but you did not tell us what it is. Always to post full pictures of everything when asking.

• 1 month later...

Just to introduce myself as I got ahead of myself before doing so. My name is Josue which is Joshua in english. I'd been checking out some forums on watch repairs and came across this one. From what I can see the exchanges are respectful and most important helpful. I look forward to exchanging ideas and learning a few things. I'm  somewhat of a newbie to watch repair when you consider the amount of years some people have. So be patient with me if I ask for clarification. Thanks for all your help in advance.

Kind Regards!!

Hi Josue, 

Yeah, was pretty simple. Pulling the crow to the time set position and then holding the pushers allowed the chrono hand to be reset. 

See the below youtube link for instuctions:

PS. thankyou to everyone that assisted with this repair, watch is now in full working order.

• 6 months later...
On 12/14/2019 at 2:35 AM, JesusThe2nd said:

Well guys, I took the risk with the air technique, but also bore in mind Marc's guidance, so made sure I was as delicate as possible...

Crystal came out with no damage and I was able to fully reassemble the watch.

Thank you to everyone that took the time to give advice, very much appreciated.

One last thing, on the watch the second hand is the lower sub-dial, the large second hand is a chronograph.  

When I reassembled the watch today I took care to place all hands pointing towards 12. I started the chronograph and it jumped back to the 3rd increment and stopped moving. Starting it again it  works as normal, but again from the 3rd increment. Reseting the chronograph the hand returns back to the third increment, like in the attached photo.

Any idea what may be causing this?

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_19c4.jpg

Can you please tell me how you closed the glass with seal? I have successfully removed the glass without damage, now I'm not getting how to close it, could you please tell me.

Thanks

6 minutes ago, ykhatri said:

Can you please tell me how you closed the glass with seal? I have successfully removed the glass without damage, now I'm not getting how to close it, could you please tell me.

Crystals are replaced using a watchmaker's press made for the purpose. I recommend that you bring the watch to a watxh shop to have that done.