Waistcoat And Hamilton Today

WillFly

Well well I never thought my interest would spread to pocket watches...Ever. But my god that is a beautifully decorated piece. Don't you just love this site! I've learned more in the short time I have been a member of this site than all the of my time googling...(is that even a word?!),

Thank you Will.

My uncle by marriage was a watch repairer and jeweller and, as a young man, used to work in the watch repairi section of the Co-operative store in Bolton (Lancashire). When I was about 8 or 9, he occasionally took me on a Saturday morning into the workshop. This place fascinated me - in those days (early 1950s), watch repairing wasn't just changing a battery! In fact he gave me my first wristwatch when I passed the 11+ - if memory serves, it was a Kienzle. Fast forward to about 10 years ago when I was given a J.G. Graves "English Lever Movement" silver-cased pocket watch by the widow of a neighbour. These watches were, and still are, pretty bog-standard but nice movements - you can generally find one on eBay. Through another, non-watch forum, I made friends with a generous chap in the US who collected railroad watches. He gave me, as a present, an Elgin 571 "B.W. Raymond" RR grade watch in a rather worn case. I was so pleased with this watch that I started to look for my own. And thus the mania grew! :phew:

• Like 1