Eta 2824-2

Jim

Hi everyone hope the holidays were joyful for all.

I am currently servicing an ETA 2824-2   and have hit a roadblock.  I need to put the watch in beat and the hairspring collet used is something I have not seen before.  Rather than a standard round collet or the V type this movement has a collet that resembles a four leaf clover and no slot.  I assume there is some special tool that can be used to adjust this but I have not been able to locate it.  My only other thought was to take an old stake and grind down the sides to make a tool.  

Any advise would be most appreciated 

Sincerely,

Jim

Found this on the net hope it helps

You can regulate a ETA 2824-2 by turning the eccentric screw (red arrow). For co**BLEEP**r regulation, you can shift the green arrow, but if you shift it noticeably, the rate changes significantly (so move it with caution). Do not touch the blue part as it changes the beat error, and you won't be able to correct it unless you have a Timegrapher.

73.jpg

Thank you for the advise.

I am using a timegrapher   the beat error is over 6   ms   and moving the blue arrow only gets me down to 4  the amplitude is also horrible    What I need to do is move the hairspring to get the watch at least close to in beat then I can fine tune with the blue arrow above.   But the collet holding the hairspring is not standard  so it appears a special tool is needed.   Just was hoping someone has put one of these in beat before   :-)

Sincerely

Jim

I presume at some stage the hairspring has been removed from the balance for a large out of beat error. If has not it might be worth checking that it is actually a beat error. Mark has a vid showing how to check this see below: If the hairspring has got to be moved someone for sure on this forum will have the answer.

Jaycey   Hey thanks for the post  I wish I knew if that was what I am looking for do you know if that fits 2824-2?

Thanks for the post  at least i am going in the correct direction.

Sincerely,

Jim

I presume at some stage the hairspring has been removed from the balance for a large out of beat error. If has not it might be worth checking that it is a beat error.Low amplitude can also be caused by damaged jewels or damaged balance staff. Mark has a vid showing how to check this see below: If the hairspring has got to be moved someone for sure on this forum will have the answer.

Jaycey   Hey thanks for the post  I wish I knew if that was what I am looking for do you know if that fits 2824-2?

Thanks for the post  at least i am going in the correct direction.

Sincerely,

Jim

Ahh I see, no that tool I linked to is not for that.

I am fairly convinced it is beat error typically ETA movements run low amplitude less than 200 new even the clone movements are higher, This one is in the 150 range  but I believe the amplitude is off because the beater error is so extreme.  I have played with this movement for a while now  lol  I feel confident if I can get it close everything will come into place.  I just need help with that collet.  Notice the nice slot in Marks video   BTW the watch was cleaned and serviced pivot ends are good jewels are fine.   Hope Mark chimes in  :D 

Sincerely,

Jim

I have searched the net and could not find any specific tool for this style of stud. A stiff pair of brass tweezers might give enough purchase to move it but this can be risky so if it was me I would use the safest way possible and mark where it is positioned then remove the hairspring using the normal methods & re-fit to see if it improves or not.

Out of curiosity, in the diagram above, what does the arm that adjusts the beat error (marked with the blue arrow) actually act upon to make adjustments?

It's the anchor point for the end of the hairspring.

jaycey    The Blue arrow points to the stud end of the hairspring  as you move it one way or the other it changes the center point of where the balance roller jewel is striking.  This is the beat error adjustment as noted above.

Sincerely,

Jim 

• 2 weeks later...

What Geo posted was very helpful.   I bought an etachron tool  and ended up adjusting the regulator pins.  I found if they are not aligned correctly it also causes the watch to read out of beat.  Once I had those adjusted properly i was able to use the beat adjustment and affect a change.  I never did need to move the hairspring collet.   

Thanks again everyone

Sincerely,

Jim

What Geo posted was very helpful.   I bought an etachron tool  and ended up adjusting the regulator pins.  I found if they are not aligned correctly it also causes the watch to read out of beat.  Once I had those adjusted properly i was able to use the beat adjustment and affect a change.  I never did need to move the hairspring collet.   

Thanks again everyone

Sincerely,

Jim

That makes sense. Well done :)

• Like 1