ETA 6497 have to shake to get started

thaze5150

Hello.  I have recently assembled a watch using a seagull copy of an ETA 6497.  I’ve noticed if the watch sits still for a while I have to shake it to get it started again.  I was wondering what might be the cause of this and how I might could resolve the issue.  Thank you 

How long did it sit for? How long did it run for after you shook it?  Are you winding it enough? Most people don’t fully wind their mechanical watches not sure how many revolutions is considered fully wound on this movement but if you are only winding it 10 revolutions it does not have much power reserve, the mainspring will stop the balance prematurely (eta 6497 has 46hr reserve) but the mainspring will still have enough tension left on it so that if “motion” aka shaking is used to get the balance swinging it will start to run again. That shaking motion transfers energy to the balance which is somewhat prolonged by the little energy that is still stored in the spring. When their is low power reserve your amplitude drops and the watch will tick faster. Trying winding it 5 more revolutions and check your results. If you are fully winding it and its stopping in a few hours then y shaking its running again for another few hours then i would assume something is jamming up the transfer of power, most likely located somewhere in the balance or escapement, but could really be anywhere. It is a Chinese. Movement and the quality control is horrible. These movements come with many contaminants right out of the factory. Some have actually been faulty,

• Like 1

Is this a new movement or one you have cleaned? does it just stop with power on. If the movement doesn't start up when you start to wind it might be out of beat. What does it sound like when going, does it have an uneven sound? if so it is out of beat and needs adjusting. If you could post a photo showing the balance I can advise what you need to do. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, watchweasol said:

Hi  Vinn is correct with little power on the mainspring and train it should oscillate the balance.  Remove the balance and the fork and check the train freedom as there is somthing  interfering with the power transfer.

i know it is scary;  when  in doubt,  take the balance out.  don't forget the fork.  good luck   vin

If the watch is wound down and you slowly wind it without shaking/rotating it, it may be that you just need to rotate the watch a little to get the balance to rotate to unlock the pallets from the escape wheel. If so, there's nothing wrong with your watch.

Anyway, you must give us a more precise/detailed description of the problem.

Edited by VWatchie

I don't think the OP implied or is complaining about the watch stopping near the end of power reserve. He can surely clarify. Seagull are the relative best of Chinese production, however faults on new units are absolutely possible. At the minimum the watch would require a timegrapher check, thingsthat nowadays is possible for owners using an app or affordable stand-alone unit.

2 hours ago, jdm said:

I don't think the OP implied or is complaining about the watch stopping near the end of power reserve. He can surely clarify. Seagull are the relative best of Chinese production, however faults on new units are absolutely possible. At the minimum the watch would require a timegrapher check, thingsthat nowadays is possible for owners using an app or affordable stand-alone unit.

I wish i knew an app that works well, i downloaded a few and they all stink. I finally splurged and got myself a timegrapher 5000.

On 12/12/2019 at 8:26 AM, saswatch88 said:

I wish i knew an app that works well, i downloaded a few and they all stink. I finally splurged and got myself a timegrapher 5000.

Tg seems to be generally accepted but unfortunately it's not just a simple case of downloading the software and using it. It needs the correct type of amplifier to boost the signal and from where I am sitting the stand for the watch needs some thought as well. Unfortunately a stand with mic for the Chinese timographer costs not far off what the entire set up does.

There are details of the sort of things needed here

http://www.watchoscope.com/

I think he sells built amps on ebay.com. The alternative, buying a preamp isn't that good an idea as it will be for the audio frequency range which is too high for this sort of applications and traces will often be unstable.

;) So main problem is that the approach involves some diy.

John

-