slipping when winding up

gary17

IMG_20191209_194824.thumb.jpg.a1457476a6085726b73cd5edbc77f4e8.jpgIMG_20191209_193841.thumb.jpg.6bc31f767ac3b524945ef0299396f800.jpgHi

Me again. I have just fitted a new stem to this damn omega. The quick set calander function works fine. Setting the hands is working fine.

But when i come to winding it up it starts to slip as if teeth are missing from clutch or winding pinnion and there are no teeth missing. Ive attached pics incase there is something wrong with the set up that i cannot see.

Any advice suggestions would be a help.

cheers

garyIMG_20191209_194849.thumb.jpg.f94b6d2cb90daba6b411e161c9f80be1.jpgIMG_20191209_194839.thumb.jpg.47beb25b07a2a500e3e11a6335cbbb50.jpgIMG_20191209_193829.thumb.jpg.76a572254aaf9309d05f2195cdb2f8d8.jpgIMG_20191209_193841.thumb.jpg.6bc31f767ac3b524945ef0299396f800.jpg

Just a thought but thinking laterally, could it possibly be an issue with the mainspring slipping? I mean maybe if the barrel arbor hook hasn’t quite engaged with the mainspring hole this may resemble a simple effect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dose it have an autmatic  spring??   if so,  theres your problem.  i have an omega speedmaster, 1970 that slips just like that..  here is my opinion --main spring is broken or the spring ( on ether end) "sliped the hook".  vin

Edited by vinn3
stick in another word

Hi

thanks guys yes it does have auto spring i was hoping not to have to strip it .

Thanks for your time and help

can any one recommend a video to watch about this or some diagrams.

surely mark must have a video on this?

Just moved the auto wind on the back left and then right and it is winding in both directions. So can it still be the mainspring?

cheers

gary

Edited by gary17

Hi Gary,
In my opinion it could still be the mainspring, yes. I’m sure I’ve seen a video that Mark made on the subject. If you’ve not done one before, do take extra care as mainsprings flying out of the barrel could cause injury so eye protection is important before starting. If you haven’t replaced the mainspring yet, it’s probably just as well to purchase a new one. Then you can just push it into the barrel generally shim coloured side up (for right hand wind).

Good luck,
Adam

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forgive  me if my terminology  is off..slipping could  only be but so many things.provided all your  gear teeth are good  and properly  engaged.it could  be your  mainspring.  Even  if it is broken  the watch could  run.I have seen it happen friction  and pressure  are often enough  to hold the spring in place up the a certain  amount  of tension..and then slipping occurs. You could  also have a cracked  barrel. Inspection is in order

• Like 1

Hi

I have just wound it fully using the auto bridge.(the bit that moves to auto wind it). I will check tomorrow and see if its still running. 

If not I will replace the spring. Are cousins own make good? There half the price of omega

Cheers

Gary

3 hours ago, gary17 said:

If not I will replace the spring. Are cousins own make good? There half the price of omega

Cousins UK sells Generale Ressorts. They make springs for the entire Swiss industry since 1857.

Do you mean slipping as in you feel tension build then suddenly release which would point to the slipping spring which may be weakened or as in you feel like the teeth of the winding pinion are catching and disengaging?

This later would point to a meshing problem due to wear on winding pinion/crown wheel teeth or pivots or an assembly problem.

• Like 1

Hi

Wound it up last night by the auto winder and its still going and its the correct time. I have watched the clutch and crown gear and i cannot see a slipping movement. But i think it may be the crown gear so i will have to strip it and see.

If it is i will post pics tomorrow.

Thanks for all the advice and sugestions its much appreciated.

cheers

gary

• Like 1