Sign in to follow this  
Speedway

Hello from Leicester!

Hi folks, have over 120 watches, no Rolex or similar, but some nice functional ones in mixed styles.. Changed batteries in most, adjusted links in all bracelet styled... But have made some schoolboy errors with batteries, like accidently binning (well it must have been stuck to bottom of battery) an insulator!!! I'll come back to that in a post... Would like to do more, most quartz I own are miyota, ronda, epson etc so are not high end, but would like to do some servicing/part replacement where broken, coils etc.. Thanks for reading. 

Speedway! 

Welcome here. I hope you will develop a taste for mechanical watches and their repair. Granted, they are not economical, practical or exact as quartz, but being the ultimate element of Gent's jewelry, and a constant source of amazement and learning, they are lot more fun to work on and proud to wear.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

• Topics

• Welcome Mickey. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    • Hello Trev. You came to the right place. Beginners to pros and everything in between. Welcome! Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    • Hello all,  I am new to this forum and still quite inexperienced when it comes to diagnosing faults. I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction for tracking down the cause of low amplitude. Some Background: I recently acquired a 12s ‘Delmark’ branded pocket watch was not running. It had a broken mainspring, and as I couldn’t find any model number or useful information on the watch I replaced the broken spring with the closest available silver alloy equivalent. After manually cleaning and reassembling the movement I found it to have very poor amplitude around 110 degrease. I disassembled the movement and inspected the balance, staffs, jewels and train gears and didn’t find any obvious problem. With just the balance installed and given a slight perturbation it smoothly oscillates for several seconds without any sign of excess friction.  I have also installed each of the train wheels individually and looked at the end play with my 10x loupe but wasn’t really able to distinguish excessive play (although I have no real experience here). There also doesn’t seem to be excessive lockup in the escapement, and the banking pins are nonadjustable. Also, the balance cock rests directly between the banking pins when the mainspring is let down.   It seems like there must be a glaring problem I am missing. Does anyone have any thoughts? Best regards EF7DDFED-5E61-4C34-8949-8A0692E977A4.heic
    • Hello all, This was my father's Gotham watch that my mother gave to him in 1942. It's an automatic, and although he stopped wearing it in the early 60's (he passed in 2000), it still runs with decent amplitude. I'd like to disassemble, clean, lube, and adjust it, but I don't know how to remove the stem to get at the movement. In the "Gotham 3" photo you can see the movement coming slightly out of the case, but I have not figured out how to release the stem to remove the movement completely. Any ideas? Thanks Dan  
    • Wow, just wow. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro