Vintage chronograph - Valjoux??

jguitron

Hello again everyone,

I got my hands on this wonderful Eberhard 38mm chrono that was sold as a Valjoux.

It certainly looks like it on quick glance but then, for the life of me, I have not been able to identify which caliber. I've gone through pretty much all pictures of a couple databases of manual-wound valjoux chronos. It's in need of a service badly, but it still runs! All I can see under the balance wheel is a "96" which led me nowhere...

Anyways, I figured I'd post a couple pics of it here and see if anyone can throw me a bone ;-)

Thank you as always...

IMG_1062.jpg

IMG_1063.jpg

I'm on the same track as @jdm here in that we're talking about a Landeron .. although my thoughts were around the 52.

Probably easier with a side by side:

image.png.17e384afa05061d10f633f02a5dabbf8.png

Now granted this isn't an exact match (the hammer and parts around that area) but we have to be on the right track as there's a distinctive match to other parts!

Reading about another Eberhard chronograph (https://shop.analogshift.com/products/eberhard-chronograph-as02089) they modified a Valjoux 65  to create their Calibre 16000. Could this be a similar situation where they've taken a standard Landeron movement and made alterations for some feature differentiation?

Edited by WatchMaker
  • Thanks 1

Its a early Landeron possibly a Calibre 13, only way to identify for sure would be a pic of the keyless works, Eberhard in my experience from a number of years ago are a very good company to deal with if you require parts they will supply if they have them in stock, they also seem to have good factory records so if you contact them with the serial number they may be able to help.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, WatchMaker said:

I'm on the same track as @jdm here in that we're talking about a Landeron .. although my thoughts were around the 52.

Probably easier with a side by side:

image.png.17e384afa05061d10f633f02a5dabbf8.png

I see more difference than similarities, on the right we have an overcoil HS and suited cock, most bridges are unlike, the cock of the wheel @ 7 is jewelled and more beefy, etc.

Edited by jdm

Hi @jdm - with a comment like that I feel I've got to come back and defend my honour!

My intention was not to imply "here's a 52 - look it's a match". What I was trying to do was help @jguitron establish that, back to the original question, it's not a Valjoux and that I'm in the Landeron camp since I'd noted specific part matches to the 52. I wasn't blind to the fact that of course there are also differences! :rolleyes:

I also wanted to make the observation that Eberhard have a history of taking an established 'base movement' and making their own alterations i.e. it might not be possible to find an exact match to a Landeron on record if indeed Eberhard have made various alterations to a Landeron of whatever calibre we hopefully establish. In that regards @wls1971 had a helpful suggestion.

I just wanted to put the record straight as if you've misinterpreted the reasoning for my posting and the helpfulness I thought it could bring then other might have too.

• Like 1