Starting from scratch

Virus

Hi all i joined this forum may 2017 with the intention to learn watch repairing after my father suddenly passed away, He was a watch repair who trained with H. samuels in the 70,s

he started repairing watches at a very young age 15 years old buying broken watches/ pocket watches from markets stalls etc, he started with H. samuels as a apprentice in the 1970 and never looked backed.

All my life i have been around watches  my dad would work on watches 24\7 first thing in the morning untill late night he absolutely loved this trade.

I joined my Father in 2012 wanting to take my dad to the next level by creating our own branded watch made in great britain  in Birmingham by master watchmakers and casemakers with with our own inhouse movement big dream i know but i knew my dad had the skills to do it, as he worked on all the top brands loads of old and recent movements from Rolex Audermers Piguet no complication stopped him no matter what i threw at him he did it all, he  even made parts from scratch on his lath. He was known locally for making a watch work by touching it. 

Unfortunately my dads health was not on our side fiberosis got the better of him. one day we are working on our dream nextday hes gone.

He always used to say to me to learn the trade from him i always laughed and said iv got you i dont need to learn it let me handel the online side of things.

Guess he knew he wont be around for long hence why always pestering me to learn  the trade from him, deep down in my heart i knew if i learnt the trade from him he would leave me as he suffered with raynards and fiberosis of the lungs since 1987 he was given 7-10 years to live when he was diagnosed but he smashed that estimate he passed away 2017 purely due to his passion Watchmaking.

After my dads passing i couldnt carry on with watches each second just reminded me of him so for 2 half years i did notting i let our business die.

I come to a realisation that i cant let my dads passion his legacey just die i need to revive it in his hounor.

Im starting from scratch and one day will make my dads dream come true.

Iv got a workshop full of parts machines equipment.

problem is my dad never marked anything except brand order so i have watch parts all over the place which i dont know what the hell they are so will spend the next few weeks reserching everything and joining marks course so i can start using these parts up.

1 hour ago, Redwood said:

Glad to see you have the courage to carry on where your dad left off. He must of been a truly inspirational guy.

Thanks buddy its been the hardest thing ever but i know this is my calling one day.

Its only after my dads passing i have realised how gifted my dad really  was so many of he's mates from the watch trade told me he was the one watch repairer who could do any job which was put his way i remember him servicing 6 highend swiss watches back to back for a client he had never worked on these watch before modern automatic movements but this did not put him off, i told him return them undone as the cost of these watches was eye watering he said stuff this im gona do them 8 days later all done so my dad says hey son them watches gave me a few more extra white hairs but iv cracked it bring me more of them i loved the challange.