ETA 2472 - casing with inner and outer stem

Khan

Hello 

I can imagine that I have to tilt the movement including inner stem into the case, after pushing the outer stem and crown into case. But I can´t "hook" the inner stem to the outer stem, even if they seem to be in corect lengths.

Kind regards

Screenshot_20191205-071804_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20191205-071817_Gallery.jpg

Edited by Khan

7 minutes ago, jdm said:

Sorry, it's difficult to understand you. What exactly you can't manage to do, and why? Please refer to stem sections as inner and outer.

Hi Jdm

I have now reformulated my first post. Let me know if it makes sense. Thank You. 

I understand. The two parts are supposed to hook by pushing firmly when aligned. You could try this with the mov't out of the case.

However, I had the same problem, it seemed to me that the force needed was excessive, and I didn't want to risk breaking anything. So what I did was to remove the crown, join the stem and insert mov't in case.  Then applied locking agent and screw in the crown. It could not be really tightened it, but in my case it's a watch which not being used.

4 minutes ago, jdm said:

I understand. The two parts are supposed to hook by pushing firmly when aligned. You could try this with the mov't out of the case.

However, I had the same problem, it seemed to me that the force needed was excessive, and I didn't want to risk breaking anything. So what I did was to remove the crown, join the stem and insert mov't in case.  Then applied locking agent and screw in the crown. It could not be really tightened it, but in my case it's a watch which not being used.

Do You mean, that I should put inner and outer stem in level and push horizontally? Because It doesnt get in level if I try to tilt as in shape of a roller coaster movement. 

With the movement out of the case I would first check that the stem pieces do actually clip together correctly.

This might be easier by removing the female part of the stem from the movement and holding it in a vice whilst you then apply the male part of the stem with crown. Do they clip together as expected?

Yes? Now put the female part of the stem back in the movement; check it is properly  engaged / secured before proceeding.

Now place the movement in the case. Look along the case tube ... is the stem nice and central? Put the case flat on your workbench and try engaging the male part of the stem with crown. You must push evenly along the axis of the stem; do not push at an angle. What happens?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/5/2019 at 1:00 PM, WatchMaker said:

With the movement out of the case I would first check that the stem pieces do actually clip together correctly.

This might be easier by removing the female part of the stem from the movement and holding it in a vice whilst you then apply the male part of the stem with crown. Do they clip together as expected?

Yes? Now put the female part of the stem back in the movement; check it is properly  engaged / secured before proceeding.

Now place the movement in the case. Look along the case tube ... is the stem nice and central? Put the case flat on your workbench and try engaging the male part of the stem with crown. You must push evenly along the axis of the stem; do not push at an angle. What happens?

Hello Watchmaker

It worked! I really appreciate your time in describing it step by step as easy as possible. 

• Like 1