Chronometer Doesn't Stop

bjkwrt

Hi,

All the dials of my watch appear to be working: 

seconds, minutes, hours.  Also, all the minute and 

second hands of the chronometer are ticking away 

fine.

However, neither of the start/stop buttons work.  They 

don't stop the chronometer, so it is constantly ticking away. 

Any suggestions for an easy fix that I can do myself ?

I suspect that this problem was introduced when I had a 

watch repair person reset some of the clock face work 

recently.  (I don't want to go back there as he seems to 

introduce a new bug every time I go.)

About me :  I have some basic watch repair tools, taken this watch apart a little,

and have watched a few videos, and am willing to watch some more 

and get a few more tools.   But I am less than a novice :)

Welcome to the forum.

Some more information as to manufacturer, whether it is mechanical or quartz and a photos of the outside and the inside of the watch would help folk give you an answer.

Hi Again,

Thanks, Geo and bobm12 for the advice. 
Here are some attachments with a description here :

IMG_1736.JPG  :    face of watch
IMG_1741.JPG  :    back of watch
IMG_1742.JPG  :    inside of watch
IMG_1743.MOV :    video of back movement (3 sec)  
IMG_1744.MOV :    video of lower chronograph button push (5 sec)
IMG_1745.MOV :    video of upper chronograph button push (9 sec)
IMG_1750.MOV :    video of front movement  (14 sec) - showing chronograph's minute marker (on left) increment
                                when chronograph's second-hand crosses zero

Best.

post-614-0-72914100-1420402321_thumb.jpg

post-614-0-71224300-1420402324_thumb.jpg

post-614-0-62254400-1420402327_thumb.jpg

IMG_1743.MOV

IMG_1744.MOV

IMG_1745.MOV

IMG_1750.MOV

It seems, from the picture, as if the buttons the pushers action are stuck...I would service the watch but being a chronometer it may take some experience to tackle this job.

Just my 2 cents.

Cheers,

Bob

Welcome to the forum's.  That watch is far to valuable to start practising on,  the problem with such a watch is that it going to cost a lot of money to have it serviced properly.  Finding someone who actually knows what they are doing is another problem as you can keep paying out and they keep screwing it up.

Our own Mark Lovik  is the best I know of,  but he will not be cheap,  cheap and good do not go together.

• Like 1

Just had a look at the videos and the operating lever is fine.

Try this...

Grip the piece that is within the oval below with a pair of tweezers or similar.

Rotate that piece counter clockwise until point A just passes point B.

This wil hopefully reset the chronograph and allow you to operate it normally again.

Try it and let us know how you get on.

post_614_0_62254400_1420402327.jpg

The problem with the replica movements is that they can be a true pain to work on due to inferior build quality. A couple of years back I agreed to work on one for somebody and I ended up spending three times as long on it as I would a genuine movement. 

But getting to this problem, if nothing seems out of place or broken around the operating lever or cam then the problem could well be under the dial and calendar mechanism. In particular, the hour recording return mechanism could be jammed up. I have seen this happen a few times in the past and it will stop both pushers from being useful. Regretfully fault this would involve removing the dial and hands and calendar plate in order to reset everything.