Chronographs that no longer meeting the time spec

Ajohnw

There are plenty of old watches about ranging from say 10 to 30 years old that don't keep good time any more.One for instance that I have at the longer end looses 30sec a day. Another more recent probably 15+years old 15 secs a day.

I wonder how much of this is likely to be down to lack of servicing and or general wear and if that which parts are most likely to need replacing.

:mellow: Makes me wonder why people buy them other than this may be better than some new automatics.

John

-

A well maintained watch can last many, many years without loosing their ability to keep time. Servicing on a regular basis is the key.  It was not unusual in past decades to have a watch serviced every year. More modern timepieces that are lubricated with modern oils can go much longer, five years is a decent rule of thumb. 

The problem with *not* servicing a watch is that dirt accumulates in the oil, the oil can also degrade, and if this is not addressed then there will be excessive wear on the parts. Dirty oil can become an abrasive instead of a lubricant :-). Once parts are worn it becomes more difficult if not impossible to bring a watch back to spec, parts might have to be replaced assuming that they can be found. 

As the number of complications in a watch goes up (i.e. chronograph) , it is even more important that they be attended too, as the basic movement often has to work harder to drive the extra components. 

I, along with other people here, have watches that are 75, 100, or even more years old, that are perfectly acceptable time keepers.  I don't have any old chronographs myself, but I am sure that other people here do.

Maybe someone here with an old well running chronograph will chime in!

David

Same answer applies, minus the bit about complications :-)

A skilled watchmaker can usually bring a watch back to COSC specs, depending, of course, on the condition of the watch.  Even a basket case can sometimes be brought back given sufficient application of currency.